cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a residential fridge on 12 volt power?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I are getting close to purchasing our first 5th wheel 2 of the models we are looking at have residential refrigerators. A friend of mine said he intentionally avoided a residential because on days he Pulls the 5th wheel to work so he can head straight to the campground, he is worried the fridge would drain the battery on the RV as well as possibly draining his TV batteries.

About how long could I expect 2 12v batteries in an RV to last before the fridge would drain them?

I know depends on the reserve capacity of the batteries, but I'm wondering if they would be drained in a 9 hour period.
21 REPLIES 21

MrWizard
Boy oh boy
Replies all over the place
All he wants to do is keep the fridge cool during one day of work, so he can leave after work and go directly to the campground,
Answer is usually Yes
One pair of deep cycle batteries can handle the load for the day, plug in at home overnight, start the day with a cold fridge and fully charged batteries, if possible park the RV So the afternoon soon is Not shining on the wall behind the fridge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ktmrfs wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
With an adequate solar system this issue would disappear....batteries, panels, wire and controller.

adequate solar AND SUNLIGHT. A few days of cloudy skies or a shaded campsite can put a real damper on batteries.

Just another reason I'll be going to SiO2 chemistry next summer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
With an adequate solar system this issue would disappear....batteries, panels, wire and controller.

adequate solar AND SUNLIGHT. A few days of cloudy skies or a shaded campsite can put a real damper on batteries.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
BTW, OP, Will your work let you run an extension to a 15/20 amp circuit for a couple hours?

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
OK! I will start with questions.
1. Is your charge line between truck and trailer adequate? If so, then getting to work and from work to camp site is not an issue.

Regardless of the size of the wire between the tow vehicle and the trailer, it is impossible to FULLY charge a discharged battery bank from the vehicle. It will prevent the house battery from discharging below acceptable levels.

Well ya got me here. I do not know what part of my post you are talking about. I did not say he could get a full charge.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
1. Is your charge line between truck and trailer adequate? If so, then getting to work and from work to camp site is not an issue.

Regardless of the size of the wire between the tow vehicle and the trailer, it is impossible to FULLY charge a discharged battery bank from the vehicle. It will prevent the house battery from discharging below acceptable levels.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Drove from SoCal to DFW, TX with three two hour stops with engine running and upon arrival Residential Frig was 38 and freezer 0 degrees. Truck charges RV batteries to provide power to Frig.

I believe the OP is intending to park at work, turn off the engine and then 8-12hr later after his shift is done, start up and head to a campground.

I doubt he wants to leave the engine running the entire time he is at work.

Did my speed reading!

No way will batteries be fine that long in warm to hot weather......unless you add some solar panels.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Drove from SoCal to DFW, TX with three two hour stops with engine running and upon arrival Residential Frig was 38 and freezer 0 degrees. Truck charges RV batteries to provide power to Frig.

I believe the OP is intending to park at work, turn off the engine and then 8-12hr later after his shift is done, start up and head to a campground.

I doubt he wants to leave the engine running the entire time he is at work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The battery will be fine at work for 10 hours. Same as the battery (near full charge) will be fine overnight while you sleep. If your generator can start and run both A/C the fridge will be a minor blip. Worst case the included inverter will start/run the fridge direct if you turn the breaker off to the branch circuit that feeds the fridge.

Depending on your experience and usage patterns you may want to eventually add solar and another pair of batteries.

If the RV comes with a WFCO converter you might need upgraded charging sooner than later. WFCO is notorious for a slow charge at 13.6 volts and not going to boost mode (14.4v) when expected. If you are running the A/C 12+ hours a day this is less of an issue.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

2. What inverter is in the rig? What RR is in the rig? Look at the data plate. My Samsung RF18 sips at 3 amps. Some do sip a little more.

Our MH has the 2 GC2s at 230ah and a Tripp Lite rv1250ulhw inverter/charger.with nothing running but the RR (and parasitics), we last 10-12 hours, with outside of 75 degrees, in the sun. Fridge stays 34 and freezer at -2.

New batteries should be no problem. If work day exceeds 10 hours then maybe go out at lunch, check and run the engine or gennie for an hour, if possible.

Have fun. It will work.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep an eye on how far down you are dragging the voltage...If you get below 50% charge, expect your batteries to have a very limited lifespan.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batteries will be fine, especially if the fridge is cold with cold food in it. Our driveway is sloped, so we will level up in the driveway and load up at night, the after loading I’ll move to the street an use batteries overnight for a quick getaway the next morning.

Like said above, get 2 6v golf cart batteries.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up