cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Antifreeze

PapaRomeo
Explorer
Explorer
I just came from an RV repair place and the owner warned me not to use RV antifreeze containing alcohol because it deteriorates the rubber seals. He then went into a sales pitch for his own rv antifreeze containing propylene glycol. He then said his rv antifreeze imparts a bad odor to the system, but he had another chemical treatment that reverses the odor.

Now for years I have used the standard rv antifreeze (contains ethanol) and have never had a problem with rubber seals except now in the toilet and THAT IS AFTER 19 YEARS OF SERVICE!!!! I really can't argue with 19 years of trouble free toilet function.

Soooo. Does anyone have some input on rv antifreeze - ethanol or propylene glycol? I am aware of the "combustion" possibility of ethanol. Others have said ethanol causes "bad taste." I never drink camper water only bottled water. What about bad odor that needs to be eliminated with something else? Is what he said all sales hype?

Any thoughts and experience would be welcomed.

PapaRomeo
46 REPLIES 46

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobeewan wrote:
My two cents worth here. Regardless of what the label says the alcohol-based is toxic. Look up wood alcohol and Gilly juice causing blindness. That said, the amount that is in the antifreeze is small and you will be flushing the system out anyway so it doesn't really matter about the toxicity unless you drink it.

The alcohol used in RV antifreeze is ethanol (grain alcohol), not methanol (wood alcohol). Ethanol is what Vodka is made out of; it indeed is toxic in sufficient quantities, as deaths from drinking excessively prove, but in moderate quantities it's pretty safe, certainly so in whatever residual amount would be left after dewinterizing. Of course drinking the RV antifreeze straight up is not a good idea for many reasons.

Methanol is used as an antifreeze agent in other products, such as winter blend windshield washer fluid, and is indeed pretty toxic stuff if it gets into your body; it doesn't take a whole lot to do significant harm.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
jfkmk wrote:
I buy the rv antifreeze with the propylene glycol. Flush it well in the spring and no bad taste.

Same here. Have never used anything but the propylene glycol type and never an issue with taste or odor. Have heard the same thing about seals and alcohol and decided not to take the chance. Cost differential is really not a big deal.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents worth here. Regardless of what the label says the alcohol-based is toxic. Look up wood alcohol and Gilly juice causing blindness. That said, the amount that is in the antifreeze is small and you will be flushing the system out anyway so it doesn't really matter about the toxicity unless you drink it.

I only use the alcohol-based in the drains and add it to the black tank in freezing weather. The only rubber there are the seals on the dump valves and I keep them greased with silicone.

Although harder to find I only use the propylene glycol which is non-toxic and will not harm the seals in the fresh water lines as the alcohol-based can strip away the oils in the rubber seals causing them to break down.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Use whatever you want. He's just attempting to upsale you into buying his merchandise (twice) for the same protection to your RV you can get much cheaper somewhere else. Flush well when you unwinterize and there's no after taste. Been drinking from the fresh tank ever since we've had a camper of any kind. Before that, water storage containers, and always out of the old fashioned green garden hose. I'm still alive and kicking!

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Tech Tips: RV Antifreeze: Not All the Same

I'm like these folks. They verify the alcohol based products will leave a bad taste and is hard on rubber but it's supposed to be less expensive. You have to read the label to be sure what you're getting.

I've used a lot of the poly-polypropylene antifreeze since I first started RVing in the 1970s. Never had any trouble with a bad taste after flushing it out in the spring.

About 10 years ago, like the folks that wrote the article, I started using my air compressor to thoroughly blow out my water lines and never had any problems. Resuming use just means opening the faucets for a minute or two and letting the water run. I use a cup or two of used auto-antifreeze in the p-traps to ensure they don't freeze up.

Works for me, your mileage may differ. As long as your RV is exposed to freezing weather and you use one of these 3 solutions, you won't have any problems. There's only two alternatives. Store your RV in a heated space or take it to a warmer climate.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

PapaRomeo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. This has been my experience as well, I just wasn't sure that maybe I was missing something important. I can't vouch for taste as I do have a "thing" about water from campgrounds - don't know it's quality or safety. So I drink bottled water. No problem. But all your information is helpful and I thank you.

PapaRomeo

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
This post shows as have 0 replies yet there are 10. What's up with that?? I'm beginning to this I'm wasting my time here.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
It sounds like the dealer has a vested interest in you buying his product. So maybe not the most unbiased source?

X2. A Chevy dealer won't recommend that you buy a Ford, etc..

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart pink stuff. Poly-Prop based, works, inexpensive.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the pink RV antifreeze. It's usually cheapest at Krogers or one of their subsidiaries like Fred Meyers. I flush things well and drink from my MH fresh water tank all of the time. We never use bottled water unless we're going to put it in the toad with us.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
I buy the rv antifreeze with the propylene glycol. Flush it well in the spring and no bad taste.

There TWO "versions".

BOTH will work fine as far as freeze prevention.

BOTH contain propylene glycol but one is mixed with alcohol+water and the other is just mixed with water.

The glycol/alcohol/water mix is much cheaper and will protect the lines but can be a bit harsh on rubber/vinyl seals.

I prefer glycol/water mix but lately it is impossible to find in stores lately.. Walmart in my area is exclusively selling their cheap house brand and it is glycol/alcohol/water mix..

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
He got two things right. Alcohol is not good on rubber but as said above, there is not enough in it to do any real harm. Been using whatever pink was on sale for decades and systems still working fine.

Second thing he got right is that the pink does taste funny. Don't drink it straight, on the rocks or even with a lime twist. I flush with just fresh/tap water in the spring. Tastes fine after that.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
long long time ago there was a bunch of hoop a laa about the alkey being combustible.

At that time I went out to the barn and splashed some on the floor and stuck a propane torch to it.

I could not get that stuff to burn. :h

I buy whatever is on sale, and really flush the system well come spring.. Been doing it this way since the first year, that was 30 years ago or so.. And SOME would say I am still normal..! :B

I just picked up 5 bottles from True Value for $2.99 ea
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
iโ€™ve used the pink stuff for 33-seasons now also with no issues.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle