Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sagging Outer Walls/Compromised Interior Cabinets

jayfraze
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I have been a long-time recipient of all the advice for repairing campers but this is my first post.

I have a 2006 Prowler Lynx 200XP by Fleetwood. Probably 75% of the floor is rotted or soft which is something I've dealt with before. My biggest problem is that the right side wall of the camper is sagging below the frame. Further, there is a crack in the frame with an attempted repair with a plate. I have not pulled up the floor yet but intend to as well as the kitchen cabinets. The sagging wall extends from the door to the rear of the camper, probably 12 feet at most.

I am wondering 1) are these things related? 2) how should I fix the sagging wall?
28 REPLIES 28

30sweeds
Explorer
Explorer
Jay,go for it!! I've been retired for a while and LOVE to take on projects such as yours.I know you know you can do it. It's not a money thing for me but self satisfaction and kind of a glory thing too. You know what I mean.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
It's kind of like guys who have a hobby of restoring car...you don't find too many restoring a 80's vintage K-car...because...why would you?

I am restoring a '95

Because down here, if a fault in an ECU or BCU causes the car to run limp home open loop, you might as well send it to the crusher.

Everything "depends"

They've had electronics in cars even in Mexico for more than a few years now. Now it may not make a lot of sense to spend $2k on a $1k car.

Of course, they don't have complex computer systems in 2006 vintage run of the mill travel trailers and I brought up 80's vintage K-cars which no one wants.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's kind of like guys who have a hobby of restoring car...you don't find too many restoring a 80's vintage K-car...because...why would you?

I am restoring a '95

Because down here, if a fault in an ECU or BCU causes the car to run limp home open loop, you might as well send it to the crusher.

Everything "depends"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jayfraze wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Another option if you want to do flipping...

It seems the word "flipping" is throwing off some posters. If I were intending for this to be my full-time job with profit-per-hour-invested calculations - it would be asinine. "Flipping" was clearly the wrong word choice.

This is a hobby, plain and simple. I enjoy the problem-solving and fixing. At best, I intend to recoup my costs and pay for a summer's vacation. Nothing more.

Hope this helps.

Even as a hobby, you are far more likely to recoup your costs by selecting a project that makes more sense financially.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jayfraze
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Another option if you want to do flipping...

It seems the word "flipping" is throwing off some posters. If I were intending for this to be my full-time job with profit-per-hour-invested calculations - it would be asinine. "Flipping" was clearly the wrong word choice.

This is a hobby, plain and simple. I enjoy the problem-solving and fixing. At best, I intend to recoup my costs and pay for a summer's vacation. Nothing more.

Hope this helps.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another option if you want to do flipping...rather than go for damaged 5yr old trailers, look for 50-60's trailers. There seems to be a nostalgia boom, so they might have some resale value. Plus they are relatively simple and solid construction that should be easier to repair.

Similarly, airstreams are always way overpriced, so there is a lot more margin for turning a profit...though you will have to learn the specific construction methods but shouldn't be too hard for a handy guy.

Buying a 14yr old low value, nothing special trailer and doing a complete rebuild is just crazy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, I never knew that they built lightweight frames like that! Looking back at the first pic, I'll bet what I'm seeing under that splice plate isn't a tear, but the lip where the edge is rolled to stiffen it.

Here's a pic of what I was trying to describe earlier:

What you're looking at is the front edge of the slide in my 2008 Terry. The project at hand was to replace the floor in the slide which had begun to rot out due to a leak in the exterior trim. The carpet in the slide has been removed, and you can see where the beveled edge of the slide floor now sites on the remaining carpet that needs to be removed.

With the interior fascia trim removed, I screwed a 4x4 block to the front framing on each side of the slide and used a bottle jack to raise the slide in the opening so I could get under there and get that carpet out.

This is what I was thinking for you as a way to support that wall when you are rebuilding the floor under it. The easy way would be to screw a 4x4 to the exterior but then you have to deal with holes in the fiberglass, that's what made me think of removing a window and putting a support there that you could jack against. What ever you do will have to be on the exterior, there's nothing left to jack against inside.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now that you know the frame is good, nothing left to do but to do it! Post back pics once you get into it so we can all share in the fun!

jayfraze
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
That plate on the frame is not a patch/repair. That is a splice plate, straight from the factory. I'll bet there is one just like it on the frame on the opposite side of the trailer.

When I saw the first plate, I slowly backed away figuratively speaking. But you're right, there are four plates just like the diagram shows on page 8 of the document you shared. Two behind and two in front of the axle section. It's clear this is an transparent factory practice.

It may not be the preferred frame choice by many who have voiced their opinion here, but it's clear this is a factory made situation.

Thanks, wing_zealot, for sharing your knowledge!

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
The answer is NO, the actual frame under that reinforcement plate BROKE...
Showed the guy a picture and he still can't figure it out.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wing_zealot wrote:
That plate on the frame is not a patch/repair. That is a splice plate, straight from the factory. I'll bet there is one just like it on the frame on the opposite side of the trailer. It's a "C" channel frame made up of two or more sections on each side and spliced together with splice plates and huck bolts. See example

By the way, those pre-punched holes aren't there to save weight. Those have a folded innerward edge, they are for strengthening the frame so it doesn't fold over in the middle like folding a slice of bread.

The prepunched holes will "STIFFEN" this cheap frame somewhat, "strengthen" however is a real stretch of anyone's imagination.

Those prepunched holes in fact made an extremely weak spot where the highest stress would end up (at the axle and spring mounts).

The prepunched holes ARE a typical "feature" of "light weight" trailers. Punch out enough holes and use thinner material and you can easily save a couple hundred pounds of weight..

Manufacturer KNEW that this would be an issue and then placed that afterthought of a reinforcement plate to span a badly placed prepunched hole.

That plate DIDN'T do its job, did it?

The answer is NO, the actual frame under that reinforcement plate BROKE.

Can it be "fixed", sure, but it will never be as good as a properly designed frame whether it be an I beam, heavy "C" Channel or even a full boxed frame without all of those holes.

For the money and time, OP could buy the proper new steel have his Father weld up a far better frame from scratch.. But then you you still have the rotted out "box" to deal with..

So, why bother with such a messed up trailer, OP is going to put considerably more time (labor) and materials in this than what they could conceivably ever get out of it. But, hey if you like "giving" your time away, go for it, myself if I couldn't recoup enough money out of my work to earn a living I don't bother messing around with junk this far gone..

I know from my current TT, I worked every evening after work for 3-4 hrs on it plus full day on Saturdays (10-12 hrs) for 9 months, that is 1080 hrs and mine was in far better shape with a perfect frame.

If I was doing this to flip or make money and at the low end of what you would expect to be paid per hr of even say $10 for a yard laborer I would have to get $10,800 plus the materials of $5K out of my trailer.. Yeah, $16K!!!

If the OP was able to manage to sell this trailer for say $6K and they spent $5K on materials they would have a mere "profit" of $1K BUT, they would be working for nothing, that is not a profit when you consider the man hrs it will take.. In my case of 1080 hrs, that $1K leftover for labor is like working for a job paying you $.93 per hr!!

NINETY THREE CENTS PER HR!

I don't know about you or the OP but my "time" is worth far more than $.93 per hr.

That is the cold hard reality of a depreciating asset.

Even IF the OP could whip this into shape in say 100 hrs (unrealistic for this much damage) that would be like getting paid $10 per hr and now days that is nothing to live on.

Listen folks, used RV trailers are a dime a dozen, it was given to the OP because it was not worth sinking money or time in it.

OP can make more money quicker and with very little labor just by selling off the used parts, shouldn't be much more than a couple of hrs of work to remove everything of value and sell it.. Then burn the box and take frame to a steel scrap yard..

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
That plate on the frame is not a patch/repair. That is a splice plate, straight from the factory. I'll bet there is one just like it on the frame on the opposite side of the trailer. It's a "C" channel frame made up of two or more sections on each side and spliced together with splice plates and huck bolts. See example

By the way, those pre-punched holes aren't there to save weight. Those have a folded innerward edge, they are for strengthening the frame so it doesn't fold over in the middle like folding a slice of bread.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Lots of naysayers here on the forum. Looks like your model is a "light weight" looking at the frame. The frame damage is severe...looks like it ripped in half! The patch looks decent but hard to tell from the pic. I would be sure that's solid before investing any time in a rebuild.

Also amazing that the roof and walls are dry considering how bad the floor is, did you find where the water is coming in?

So without outriggers on the frame, it's obvious why the wall is falling if the floor is gone. The fix is to jack up the wall while you re-frame the floor that runs under it. The 2x3 floor framing runs across the trailer frame side-to-side with a end piece (kind of like a sole plate) that runs under the edge of the wall.

Unfortunately you can't jack up under the wall where the new floor needs to go, and I wouldn't want to screw thru the filon, so I would look to take out a window or somehow get a ledge to jack against so you can raise the wall and take the pressure off. Once you tear into the floor you'll see what you're up against.

The good news is that you need to take everything out anyway, so you only have to invest a little more time to decide whether to fix or part out.

I just went through a similar experience with my truck camper, it was free but needed some work. You can follow the repair blog on the link in my signature. I was confident doing the work after doing major repairs twice to our 2008 Terry TT.

Glad you're making $$ flipping these things...I had to put a new fridge in this one, so I figure I'm about $4k into a 2002 unit that's worth $8k, so figuring my time I think I made about $0.10/hr this summer LOL. But that's not why I did it....I have a better-than-new really cool camper for a fraction of what a new one costs!

Not a "naysayer", just a "realist".

After looking at the frame, that is either a recall patch or a factory reinforcement at a weak point. Either way, it is junk.

The patch was punched out by a purpose built punch press and has dimples/recesses for the rivets that were used. That did not come from a normal welder which would have used plasma, waterjet or cutting torch. Then the plate would have been WELDED in.

Look closely under that patch, the frame IS cracked through and has been that way for some time, that patch is barely holding the frame together and the frame is sagging at that patch.

The frame is not worth the time and energy.

Only unsuspecting "marks" would buy this trailer after it is fixed up, I would not feel right about flipping this kind of junk..

OP can make use of the good parts, as I mentioned they have at least $1500 in usable parts and could most likely make some good money flipping the parts with very little effort (a lot less effort than rehabbing this one).

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of naysayers here on the forum. Looks like your model is a "light weight" looking at the frame. The frame damage is severe...looks like it ripped in half! The patch looks decent but hard to tell from the pic. I would be sure that's solid before investing any time in a rebuild.

Also amazing that the roof and walls are dry considering how bad the floor is, did you find where the water is coming in?

So without outriggers on the frame, it's obvious why the wall is falling if the floor is gone. The fix is to jack up the wall while you re-frame the floor that runs under it. The 2x3 floor framing runs across the trailer frame side-to-side with a end piece (kind of like a sole plate) that runs under the edge of the wall.

Unfortunately you can't jack up under the wall where the new floor needs to go, and I wouldn't want to screw thru the filon, so I would look to take out a window or somehow get a ledge to jack against so you can raise the wall and take the pressure off. Once you tear into the floor you'll see what you're up against.

The good news is that you need to take everything out anyway, so you only have to invest a little more time to decide whether to fix or part out.

I just went through a similar experience with my truck camper, it was free but needed some work. You can follow the repair blog on the link in my signature. I was confident doing the work after doing major repairs twice to our 2008 Terry TT.

Glad you're making $$ flipping these things...I had to put a new fridge in this one, so I figure I'm about $4k into a 2002 unit that's worth $8k, so figuring my time I think I made about $0.10/hr this summer LOL. But that's not why I did it....I have a better-than-new really cool camper for a fraction of what a new one costs!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jayfraze wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. There are more comments than I thought there'd be! Seems I need to provide a bit more background.

I acquired the camper for nothing. It is the top trim for that model so comes with all the fixings that at least 06 had to offer. Parting-out is still very much on the table.

That said, I have "flipped" several campers over the last few years. I am unfortunately attracted to the work and problem solving... I suppose one would call that a hobby. In my part of Canada, we have a solid 8 month no-camping season so this passes the time. As of yet, I have been able to come ahead each time. This camper has the most damage but not by much.

The process will be the same whether I part-out or rebuild. I'll need to strip the inside down to the frame to ascertain the true damage. This is going to be step #1. Happy to post an update later on depending on which direction I decide. The one advantage to the whole thing is that the roof and walls are 100% solid. I am uncertain at this point how much/if the floor rot has affected the connection to the walls.

I tried to include photos previously but only figured that out now.

Photo #1 is the right side sagging wall, also under the kitchen. You'll notice there aren't any outriggers. Next to no support for the walls.

Photo #2 you'll notice the result of water damage and lack of structural support... the kitchen cabinets are buckling.

Photo #3 is the plate fix on the crack. This is the only thing of the project that concerns me. My father is a certified welder so there is hope there but still questioning if I want to rebuild on a "repaired" frame as many have mentioned.

BurbMan wrote:
Big project but do-able if you have the time.

Thanks for the frame photo and the helpful feedback re: rebuild. I certainly understand the disadvantages, cost, frustration, wildly extensive damage, etc. so your responses to my initial questions about the sag/frame were appreciated!

Jay, the entire floor structure under the stove is done, there is nothing you can do to remedy short of demolishing the entire floor..

To do this CORRECTLY you MUST remove the ENTIRE WALL.

Then you would have to cut back all the wood framing in the floor back to good solid dry wood, IF you can find anything salvageable.

The floor is a "sandwich" which has 1/8" or 1/4" plywood underneath (on top of steel frame), then 2x2 framing on top of the thin plywood, then 1/2" plywood or chip board on top of the 2x2s.. You will find that there is Styrofoam insulation in between the 2x2s which is 100% GLUED in.. Making this repair a real frustrating time waster..

If you have basic understanding on how a Trailer box is built then you would know that the floor is built in place on the frame, then the walls which are prebuilt on tables fixtures is lifted and set on the floor structure.. Then the roof (which is built the same as walls) is set on top of the walls.

From your pictures I really would not encourage anyone at this point to tackle this as a fixer upper for yourself and especially from a flipping perspective.

Addressing the frame..

Yeah, that frame is a piece of junk, it was junk from the day it left the factory, it is a lightweight frame, it has prepunched holes in the frame to lighten the weight and good chance it failed at one of the prepunched holes above the axle and that is why that gnarly plate is there..

You will spend more money and time welding in all those prepunched holes to strengthen (and add weight) and you will have a "frankenstein" frame which will not add any value to your trailer.

Your "house" is only as good as the "foundation" it is built on, star with a trash foundation and your end result is like putting lipstick on a pig (trash).

I could never justify trying to fix this one for myself let alone for potential of flipping.. It is a 2006, a 14 yr old trailer, you are talking at best in US a $3,000 trailer IF it did not have this severe damage. With that damage, it should be in the scrap yard, as is right now it is a safety hazard and could collapse easily.

You got it for free but your labor time is not free no matter what you think, you can never get time back.

You HAVE basically a parts donor at best, leave it at that and move on. You can find lots of trailers in far better shape with good frames.

Sometimes one must realize that one cannot "save" everything and sometimes in those cases, the terminal ones become "life saviors" for other trailers..

I wish you good luck if you decide to proceed, but consider yourself warned.