Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sanitizing water system

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I donโ€™t drink or cook from my rv water system (bring bottled water.) itโ€™s used for bathing and washing dishes. As such I only fully sanitize every year or even 2. My question is what most of you do about your hot water heater when sanitizing. Put the chemicals in it? Bypass? Donโ€™t run sanitizing fluid through hot water lines?

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
20 REPLIES 20

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I think some bypass the water heater, something about the chlorine and aluminum water tanks? They think it rots them out faster or something. I sanitize mine, i figure its only there for a short time and then flushed good. No time to eat away at the tank. This is void if you have a diffrent tank liner.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
steveandjil wrote:
Oh my goodness. I was asking if people AVOID treating the hot water heater.

To be honest, sorry I asked.

During my first times with an RV, I avoided treating the HW tank. It was a matter of convenience. I was also having difficulty avoiding leaks on the drain plug. I did not notice any issues the first couple of years but the third year, I got horrid odors out of the HW system and it took a long time and many showers before the water again smelled OK. Later I read about the issues with Legionella bacteria growing in RV tanks and decided to never skimp on treating the whole system. I also got a new drain plug which made it easy to open the drain and let the chlorine soak water out.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
steveandjil wrote:

How else may we assist ? Lol

Kidding aside, it's much more efficient to sanitize the whole system, HWH included.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that people read the title of the post "Sanitizing water system" and thought you meant the entire water system.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
steveandjil wrote:

Hang in there. This forum can be difficult. Try to imagine responses being offered supportively, even though some of us can be cranky.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer

Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Guyโ€™s... He was just asking about the water heater!

How/why would someone want to isolate treating just the hot water heater?

Plus, wondering how creative one may need to be to avoid sanitizing the rest of the system in the process.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
1/4 cup bleach per every 15 gals water in the tank.
This, plus you need 4 hours contact time. Which means you leave the chlorinated water in the system for 4 hours before you drain and flush.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

How/why would someone want to isolate treating just the hot water heater?
There is something special about camping in an RV.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I actualy splurged and used Captain Phab Purge Tank Cleanser this year to try it.

I used to use bleach every spring then spend the day flushing the bleach tast out .whith the Captian Phab I simply put it in and filled up the tanks. ran the water to fill the lines and hot water heater , toped up the tank and let it sit for a day (I actualy did two days) then drain and flush once. this was the first year that I had neither bleach or antifreezed flavord water on my first trip. I was a little hesident due to the 25 buck price tag, but it will do two seasons on my 5th and camper so thats realy not bad.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
I dump 1 cup of bleach into fresh water tank and run the sinks and shower until I smell it with both hot and cold on, flush and go camping.

Yep.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I read in Consumers Union that you are more likely to get bad bottled water than bad city water.
We only sanitize our mh once, that's when it's new.
Our water at home is from our own well.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I dump 1 cup of bleach into fresh water tank and run the sinks and shower until I smell it with both hot and cold on, flush and go camping.