cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Searching for appropriate Solar Charger

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Just upgraded my 2013 Jayco Swift 18' TT with dual 6V batteries and LED lighting .. Now I'm looking for a "Very Portable" 100Wt Solar Charging system .. I've read many forum posts where folks talk about their inexpensive units, but all I've been able to find online are either too expensive (I'd like under $200), or the reviews are crappy by existing customers. I've tried EBay, Amazon, and Google - Can anyone that currently has a minimum 100Wt 'portable' charging system that they really like, for under $200 steer me to their source??
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.
31 REPLIES 31

red31
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-irradiance.html

Pick your camping location, panel facing south, and see what a horizontal/flat panel will collect, tilt it a tad and it gets more, move it and it gets more. The beauty of potable with their excess long setup time (plug and play, everything included, not crimping too, tinning, cutting and on and pn) and unhingeability.

BFL13's ugly graph shows a thirsty 2x6v batteries will accept large current. @ 90% charge they still want 12A.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, he meant Buddy, Coleman etc. Not a good choice for many reasons, but it does run without 12V.

And, - don't get excited about 60 AH a day from 120W panel. The panel can generate it on a good summer day, but the battery won't take it. 7A*6hrs + shoulder sun = 50 AH or more, but the battery will need 7A for a few hours only, and then its acceptance rate slows down.

There are certain tricks that boondocker with limited energy budget can use. Like charging/running laptop and similar loads when batteries are either full, or the acceptance rate dropped down to the level when the panel generates more amps than battery can take.

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:

Of course, only you will know what your battery usage is with a true power audit, but either of these should get you in the ball park. Using LED's is the first, most important step to dropping your amp hours power consumption and usage down to something manageable. Heater fans are another huge suck, running the blower motor. Get propane parabolic dish heaters instead.

Are you referring to heaters like the "Big Buddy propane heater" ??

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
... lights, and I am at about 24 amp hours... add in the 22" lcd TV, and the 175W inverter sucking about 4 amps an hour, and I am at about 40 amp hours over a 24 hour period.

Yes. 35 AH without TV. Most people wouldn't know how to live on less than 90 AH a day. 40 AH they call here a "tent" camping" :)... Hijacking a little, - 35 AH is what my solar collects on a dark cloudy day. 490W though. Generator... what generator?

NinerBikes wrote:
40 or 50 ah off of 225 AH is nothing,

Yes. 2-3 days of this is still within 50% of 2*6V, without solar or any other charging.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
ottor wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
Solar Blvd, 120 watt portable solar panel kit... $190
Google it.
Yes, I bought one, yes, it works as intended. Put a piece of rug or old carpet strip underneath it every time, so you don't scratch things up in the rocks aiming it 2 or 3 times a day for peak efficiency.

Exactly what I was looking for - Is this a unit that attaches to the batteries, or is there some 'installation' involved ? (BTW, I've looked at that source, and can only find what you described having a retail price of $449 on sale for $288 - I've EMailed them for their response..)

Appreciate your help!

120W portable solar panel kit, plug and play.

160W portable solar panel kit, plug and play.

Either one will do the job. Aim the 120W 3x a day, and if in sunny areas, you should be able to pull 7 amps for 6 or so hours a day, plus more on the shoulder, maybe 50-60 amps of charging any time past the spring and before the fall solstice. Winter time you might come up less, days are shorter.

The 160W version, multiply by a factor of 1.333 for amps you receive. The controller on the back of this is known around here as an "RJ Special" I've had zero problems with mine, I am aware of one person that may have gotten a bad one here recently on RVnet, or he hooked the terminals up backwards to the battery and roasted something. Solar BLVD made good and replaced the controller quickly.

You can NOT just rely on solar, day in, day out, unless you are located in the Southwest... a good charge controller like a Progressive Dynamics PD9245 or PD9260, and a good generator like a Honda EU1000i or Eu2000i series generator for the PD9260 would be your primary source worst case scenario recharging, system. When it's all sunshine, you don't use it at all, or briefly first thing in the morning to do your bulk charging, and then let the solar panels top things off to 100%

I have a 21 ft travel trailer, I converted all the indoor lights to 48 lcd warm white panel lights on T-10 connectors.

With no lights running, parasitic load over 24 hours is 18 amp hours. Add in the lights, and I am at about 24 amp hours... add in the 22" lcd TV, and the 175W inverter sucking about 4 amps an hour, and I am at about 40 amp hours over a 24 hour period. Too much for a single group 24 DC battery, fine if you have a pair of 24 DC or group 27DC batteries, or a Trojan T1275 at 150 Ah, or a pair of GC-2 batteries at 12v @ 225 Ah. It's about what you keep in reserve. 40 or 50 ah off of 225 AH is nothing, or for the T1275 at 150AH.

Of course, only you will know what your battery usage is with a true power audit, but either of these should get you in the ball park. Using LED's is the first, most important step to dropping your amp hours power consumption and usage down to something manageable. Heater fans are another huge suck, running the blower motor. Get propane parabolic dish heaters instead.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a link on another RV site to the Solarblvd kits when they had them on sale for black friday. I know a handful bought them and seem to be pleased.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

red31
Explorer
Explorer
How do you take em apart?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
ottor, I never used either kit. They don't tell anything about controller in either one. Could be easily same 20A in both. Cost $15-20 on Ebay. For a "very portable", both kits look good, in terms of panels. A pair of 2*50W or 2*80W you can take apart for storage if you have to. This would increase set-up time but you can, if you have to.

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Solar Blvd, 120 watt portable solar panel kit... $190
Google it.
Yes, I bought one, yes, it works as intended. Put a piece of rug or old carpet strip underneath it every time, so you don't scratch things up in the rocks aiming it 2 or 3 times a day for peak efficiency.

Great tip and purchase source.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had bought the kit vs piecing parts.

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Almot .. about ready to pull the trigger on This One Would your opinion extend to the 160 Watt kit also ??

Thanks,

rick

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
ottor wrote:
Now I'm looking for a "Very Portable" 100Wt Solar Charging system .. I've read many forum posts where folks talk about their inexpensive units, but all I've been able to find online are either too expensive (I'd like under $200), or the reviews are crappy by existing customers. I've tried EBay, Amazon, and Google - Can anyone that currently has a minimum 100Wt 'portable' charging system that they really like, for under $200 steer me to their source??

Many people writing those reviews don't know what they are talking about. (Because if they did, they would buy separate parts instead).

The kit that you are going to order from Solar Blvd, with "built-in" controller, had a recent negative review on the controller. That little POS simply didn't work and was trying to boil the batteries. Every few months somebody posts a negative feedback on those kits, and it's usually a controller. The panel itself is more difficult to screw up for el-cheapo manufacturer. It's better to get a better controller from the beginning. But better will cost more. So you'll have to keep an eye on the voltage because it can't be trusted.

I don't think there are many people who "really like" 100W portable. It's a very small system, the benefits don't outweigh the trouble of handling. It's good for extending your stay a little, sans generator, slowing down the battery drain. A minimalist would be able to live off that as long as the weather is sunny, but it has to be a minimalist and it has to be sunny all days. And it's good for completing the charging silently in the afternoon after an hour or two on the generator in the morning - important for getting 100% SOC if your stay is long, but not important if it's just a weekend and yo are going home next day.

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
Solarblvd 120W - 12V Folding Solar Panel

really appreciate that!! - Will order it... appears to be exactly what I've been looking for..

Thanks again..

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Solarblvd 120W - 12V Folding Solar Panel
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me both Eco-worthy and Windynation had 100w kits for around $200 or less with shipping, Then again prices have changed so fast I can't keep up.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator