cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing power awning while in transit

harry_and_thea
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard about a friend of my brother's whose awning on his fifth wheel started coming out while he was driving. He has a new high end trailer so I'm sure it must have been a power awning. Heard this second hand from my brother so I don't know the particulars.
My last trailer had a manual awning which I felt was fairly secure. Ever since I got my current trailer with the power awning I always wonder about the possibility of the awning coming out while travelling. It would only take two strands of the wire going to the switch to come together to make this happen. Any one ever hear of this happening? Any safeguards that can be taken?
Harry and Thea
2016 F 250 cc short box
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS
21 REPLIES 21

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mordecai81 wrote:
The awning can unroll without the arms deploying. Saw a FW on the side of I90 with the awning unrolled and torn to bits but the arms still stowed. I don't know if that's the most common scenario or if the arms deploying is, but nevertheless, I ordered the awning lock linked above when we got home. It's a well-made device.

yup. happened to us on I-90 back in '86 or '87. arms stayed in place and the awning fabric ballooned out. had i not glanced in my right mirror when i did i might've lost the awning. i was able to pull onto the shoulder and get it back in place. bought an awning lock a few days later and used it up till 2015 when we bought our current MH which has a power awning. securing the arms is not enough. you need to keep the roller from turning. that's what the lock does. as for damaging the awning if forgetting to remove the lock...in my case i did forget a few times early on. tbe result was the awning simply would not extend. no damage.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
The awning can unroll without the arms deploying. Saw a FW on the side of I90 with the awning unrolled and torn to bits but the arms still stowed. I don't know if that's the most common scenario or if the arms deploying is, but nevertheless, I ordered the awning lock linked above when we got home. It's a well-made device.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just wrap a velcro strap around the arms so they can't open.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would think any lock would almost be more dangerous. I can see forgetting about it and trying to extend the awning.
The whole thing is rather strange. The motor would have had to of broken or come loose for the awning to come out by itself.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
One sure way to stop this from happening is to use the Awning Lock.

They are made for Many types of Awnings
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of all the fears about solar panels blowing off...Iโ€™ve yet to see even one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No. Just make sure it's in. Two strands of wire suddenly coming together? Highly improbable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman