cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sequential use of small water jugs with pump

ItsMeOK
Explorer
Explorer
Searched and searched for this but came up empty.

I want to have several plastic jugs for water (jerry can size)
I want to have all connected to the same hose and T'd off connected to the same pump.
But I don't want them all to be used at the same time and have the levels go down evenly. I would like for it to use one tank fully, then the next tank, etc. This way I can just take out 1 or 2 empties and fill and replace.

I am trying to come up with something that wouldn't take a CPU and programing to accomplish.

I was thinking of solenoids, but they take constant power depending on either always open or always closed. I see there are electronically controlled ball valves that seem to be the right road, with a ball valve at the top of each jug.

Then I was thinking of a switch that would sense if the preceding tank was empty and to then open the next tanks valve.

This is where it gets confusing. If the 1st one is open and empty, then trigger the 2nd one's ball valve. But now there is still the 1st one that is open and empty so the pump would suck in air too, right?
Is there a type of check valve that would allow water but not air?

How would one sensor trigger its valve to close then next one to open?

Has then been figured out already?
Is there a simpler way?
An existing product that I just don't know the name of?

Thanks

Edit. OR
What if I just had each tank have a tube that ran to the bottom and then to the top of the next tank. The water pump could pump out of the first tank.

Then have and air pump on the last tank and pressurize the last one so that it forces the water out and into the next tank and repeats causing the first tank to end up with all the water and the others are empty?
32 REPLIES 32

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Agree. Stack them, have each can feed the one below it, attach pump to the bottom tank. Each can will need an water input and output feed AND an air input valve. Air valve closed on all but the top can. Might want to use translucent cans so you can visually check water levels.

Several types of stackable water containers on Amazon. With minor alterations should do what you want. Let gravity work for you.
Not even that hard. If the tube on the upper tank extends down into the lower tank about 30% it will create a vacuum in the upper tank and the water will stop. Once water level in the lower tank drops below the dip tube, air will enter the upper tank and water will be released until the level hits the dip tube and seals it from the air.

Glug, glug, glug....

ItsMeOK
Explorer
Explorer
Well to address some of the "comments", this is for a smaller vehicle (Class B Van) so space is at a premium. It's for being able to have a modular system that has an adjustable capacity depending on what the needs for the current trip or for what other people use needs are. Need more water for this type of trip, slide in more cans. People that don't need that much water can use the space for other stuff. I was actually thinking of collapsible containers but was trying to simplify question so the decision could change while on a trip.

It would allow using the oldest water first. Also, you could carry a can in a backpack, etc. into a restroom, etc. and fill one.

Yes, it could be done manually but was trying to avoid taking a shower and then realizing you need to flip a valve because you needed to open another tank.

The gravity idea is great but the location that I wanted, under a couch, leads to them being slid in like a bookshelf.

I just thought there might have already been an old school mechanical/simple switch solution out there without the complication of PLC, Arduino, etc.

Thanks anyway.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
tommyznr wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
It might help the OP told us what he's trying to accomplish that requires multiple small tanks ganged together.

Exactly this.

Bottom of the second paragraph of the OP:

โ€œThis way I can just take out 1 or 2 empties and fill and replace.โ€œ

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
QCMan wrote:
Don't know about everyone else, but I am sure glad that somewhere in history the rv manufacturers decided to put fresh water tanks in all units. If only we knew more about the Kia Sorento the OP is converting into a motor home.

Me too...and lol!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't know about everyone else, but I am sure glad that somewhere in history the rv manufacturers decided to put fresh water tanks in all units. That enables just about all of us to avoid the highly complicated setup proposed by the OP. And to add to that, it is probably the only tank with fairly reliable sensors. If only we knew more about the Kia Sorento the OP is converting into a motor home.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
It might help the OP told us what he's trying to accomplish that requires multiple small tanks ganged together.

Exactly this.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Not a problem, you just need 2020 era Programmable Logic Controllers, with a level sensor and electric operated ball valves for each jug; and a supply of plastic tubing. "Relays" you really are dating yourself.

The OP didn't want a CPU or programming to do so I suggested how we did it before PLCs were much of a thing.

Yes, I am proud to say that I am that old.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course the OP can do whatever he wants to do but several easier and cheaper alternatives have been suggested.
Puma 30RKSS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
time2roll wrote:
If they are sealed just stack them. The highest pair will empty first so a refill can be made.

^^^
This.

Gravity will take care of the issue. Lay them on their side so the exit is at the bottom then stack them one above the other. The separate cans will act like one large one, emptying from the top downward.

Agree. Stack them, have each can feed the one below it, attach pump to the bottom tank. Each can will need an water input and output feed AND an air input valve. Air valve closed on all but the top can. Might want to use translucent cans so you can visually check water levels.

Several types of stackable water containers on Amazon. With minor alterations should do what you want. Let gravity work for you.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
If they are sealed just stack them. The highest pair will empty first so a refill can be made.

^^^
This.

Gravity will take care of the issue. Lay them on their side so the exit is at the bottom then stack them one above the other. The separate cans will act like one large one, emptying from the top downward.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Tal/IL wrote:
Shouldn't be difficult with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino programmed to control a system of water level sensors and actuators/valves
I would use an Arduino, latching solenoid valves and a single flow meter. If they are 5 gal jugs, sequence the valves every 4.8 gals metered. You would need either a relay board or MOSFET (SSR) board to drive the solenoids.

Or better yet, have 1 larger tank to pump the water out of and several smaller, lighter jugs to transfer the water to the larger tank
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be difficult with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino programmed to control a system of water level sensors and actuators/valves
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like you are engineering a solution in search of a problem. Just manually open and close the valves. You have to manually pull the jugs to fill anyway. Or have a bigger reservoir and use the jugs to fill it up - this is really the entire premise of a fresh water tank in an RV.

Sounds like a lot of work and money but to each his own. Good luck.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS