cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharp convection microwave

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
My Sharp convection microwave model r1870 is doing it again. After having it repaired twice professionaly and repairing it twice myself it is back to running 59 seconds and shutting down. Anybody know what causes this to continue. Just replacing micro switches is not the fix more like a temporary patch. Would like to keep the oven because it's a wall mount not hung from the ceiling.
Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.
6 REPLIES 6

NicodemusY
Explorer
Explorer
I have struggled with mine for at least two years and finally got it fixed last night. Usually pounding on the front of the oven would get the power to come on and finally I pinned it down to tapping on the control section. Once opened up and plugged in I found a couple wires on one of the plugs when moved were causing the cut out. I then removed the circuit board and found cracked solder joints on the large pins of one of the connectors. I re-solder all the pins on that connector and the oven is fully repaired. Mid 1990 soldering robots didn't use enough heat on larger pins. This causes a fatigue crack after years of service and intermittent loose connection problems. Easy fix if you can solder and know where the cracks are.
microwaveoven review

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! The damper motor is the culprit! 5 years ago when I bought my Trek with the same microwave mentioned here, it stopped at the 59 second mark every time. I replaced both the microswitch and the damper motor and haven't had a issue with it since. Send me you email in a PM and I'll send you the document (with pictures)another RVer shared with me after fixing his.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I researched this problem for a relative and it was the damper motor on their model too.

Dennis_Henderso
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our Sharp convection microwave (model 1870, April 2004 mfr. date) did the same thing a few years ago. Stopped after 59 seconds. It was the damper motor. Not too difficult to replace and not too expensive to order online. It's been running fine ever since.

Denny and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently at Nature Coast Landings in Crystal River, FL

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
I just watched this Is this your problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZHGdLP0AoI

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If it is not the switch itself, you might have to adjust the lever that actuates the switch. Another words it just needs an adjustment of some sort so it has a little more positive action.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer