cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shell Rotella T1 30w for my generators?

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I came across a 5 gallon tub of brand new Shell Rotella T1 30w. I know is the right viscosity, but would that oil work for a small air cooled engine?
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
4 REPLIES 4

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a regular 10w-30 grade full synthetic, since your motor is air cooled, or if you operate in temps below 32F, a 5w-30 grade full synthetic. Probably an SAE SJ gasoline or higher rated grade. You can't really go wrong with a Mobil 1 full synthetic.

I would not run Rotella T1 or T3 diesel straight 30 weight, just because it's cheap, or you found 5 gallons of it on sale. It's on sale because it's not selling, and it's not the very best around. It's not moving, regardless of price.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rotella T cannot be beat for your generator....no matter what it is. And the 30 wt should be fine too, except in extreme temps, I like multi wt
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It might shine up the inside of your small engine.......too much. Rotella T has a lot of surfactants and scrubbers and such to keep diesel engines clean. I would follow the Mfg's suggestions for oil.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
Shell Rotella T Single-Grade Oils are high-quality single-grade oils that are blended to provide excellent performance in diesel engines of many major manufacturers and in many gasoline, LPG or LNG engines (follow the correct performance/viscosity/ temperature guidelines). Additionally, for heavy-duty transmission applications, the SAE 10W and 30 grades meet the performance requirements of Caterpillar TO-2 and Allison's C-4 specification.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit