cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30/50 amp vs. adding the second optional ac unit

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
So going down to South Carolina again and while the main ac unit works fine here in ND we decided to get the second ac unit installed. 5vr in my signature comes "factory ready" for a second ac and a washer/dryer unit.

Here is the question, the 5vr is technically 50 amp because of the "add on" features that I mentioned and we have had no issues using 30 amp sites at campgrounds. Now with the second ac running will I need to stay in 50 amp sites? Not sure what the original or main ac size is but we are getting a 13,000 BTU low profile unit added.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p
17 REPLIES 17

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
hyattjlbb wrote:
5vr in my signature comes "factory ready" for a second ac and a washer/dryer unit.

Does that mean that the branch circuit wires are coiled up behind a 30 amp panel and you would have to upgrade everything to 50 amps service or is it 50 amps already?

It may help to know that the NEC only requires 20 percent of pedestals in RV parks to have 50 amps. Older editions of the NEC were a lot less. Once in a while, an RV park/CG may have gone beyond the min. code requirements, such as gov't CGs and upscale RV parks - 50 amp sites can often be hard to find in peak season.

Another way of getting of powering a 2nd AC unit is to use the 15/20 amp GFCI receptacle on a pedestal (there always is one by code) and installing a 20 amp power inlet on an exterior wall somewhere.

Keep in mind that low voltage is a common problem out there, esp. with a lot of folks using AC units at the same time. Even if you can connect to 50 amps, you may have voltage problems (below 105 volts) and not be able to run even one AC unit. (Low voltage causes damage to AC units.) A 30 or 50 amp autoformer can help overcome this.

Some people are able to run 2 ACs on 30 amps, but is more the exception. Depends a lot on the voltage you're getting too. As above, shut off everything else inside that you can.

I've seen high end MHs with 50 amps that were plugged into 30 amps with an adapter and also an extension cord out a window to the 20 amp recept. into the pedestal. All that money sunk into an RV and you have to dangle an extension cord out a window... ๐Ÿ˜ž

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
My 15k AC draws 8 amps, the 13.5k does 6 amps.
It is the starting current that is the issue.
With good campground wiring you should be able to run 2 AC s, but being close to system capacity at AC starting you have to try to see.
If you manage to get them both running, make sure they don't cycle. Meaning the coldest setting, or when too cold, turn off one at the time.
Have voltage gauge plugged in all the time.

Those numbers seem just right to me and back up what I saw while doing some testing on a Pos generac generator.

My 13.5 at showed 14 amps starting and 11.3 running.

We have used 2 ac units on 30 amps. Just have to be careful

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Not on a heater with 125v rating and typical voltage drop.
What was the temperature and voltage when running the air?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You never know till you measure.
The 1500W electric heater takes 1250W.
Surprised?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Wow that seems low.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is the starting current that is the issue.
With good campground wiring you should be able to run 2 AC s, but being close to system capacity at AC starting you have to try to see.
If you manage to get them both running, make sure they don't cycle. Meaning the coldest setting, or when too cold, turn off one at the time.
Have voltage gauge plugged in all the time.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Do the 50 amp wherever possible I just switched RV from a 30 amp to 50 amp, and using it the first night-- I only had 30 amp available in a campground that still had a foot of snow on the ground and they'd only PLOWED one site-- with 30 amp!!!

Now keeping this in mind I ran the electric fireplace &2 ceramic pelonis little heaters ---OK when I turned the TV on--- I tripped out the 30 amp breaker at the pedestal !!!!

okay-- so you're going to want 50 amp wherever possible yes!
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Two air conditioners will be max draw on 30 amp and could still trip the breaker if both start at the same time. Put the fridge and water heat to propane only. No microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, toaster or waffle iron etc. can be used without risk of immediate trip. Turn one air off if needed and wait five minutes before restart is best.

Watch your dog-bone does not overheat. And watch voltage stays 105+ in the RV.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
double post... :B

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Does your 5th wheel have the smart system where it will run both ac with 30 amp, mine has that and I can use just about anything with 30 amp, the smart system just decides what stays on and off during heavy loads.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I run two A/Cs all of the time during our hot Alabama summers on a 30amp service, just use a 50-30amp dog bone. Fridge and water heater are both on propane. Just mark sure every one is cognisant about the limited power and to not turn on the microwave or use a hair dryer.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You can still stay in 30 amp sites with two A/Cs as long as you only run one A/C at a time.

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
"with two heavy-draw appliances (both A/C's) you want one on L1 and one on L2 on your 50 amp RV"

That makes sense, thanks for the quick replies everyone, love this site!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
It is wired 50 amp, we just always used the "dog bone" when we camped in 30 amp sites with only one ac unit and no dryer.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS