cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SiO2, Lead Crystal, Soneil Batteries

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
For various reasons I have purchased a pair of Soneil, SiO2, 260ah, batteries from Azmuth Solar.

Are there any other users here of any version/brand of SiO2 (lead crystal) batteries?

Either respond here or send me a PM.

I've found this can be a hot topic, but I'm not interested in arguing.

Thanks,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries
34 REPLIES 34

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
You can't recharge Li when they are cold.
Is that what he's referring to?

Here is what Perry said 2oldman

PerryB67 wrote:

I'm not sold on lithium, live in Minnesota, don't want to remove our batteries in cold weather, and have a seasonal campsite with no trees to shade us in the afternoon, where it reaches near/over 100F in the little valley at least 30 days a year. These are just some of the problems/reasons to purchase our 260 ah Soneil SiO2 batteries. I no longer have to nag at Terry for her to conserve energy.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Enjoy,

Perry
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
You can't recharge Li when they are cold.
Is that what he's referring to?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:

why would you have to remove them? just have a shut off switch and turn them off when you leave.

Steve

Steve,

You can't recharge Li when they are cold. If it is -30, it may take HOURS of furnace run time to warm up the RV and the battery bank, even if it is in the living quarters. So it may be impossible to get the battery bank to where it is possible to recharge it, unless it is a massive bank to start with. If you roll your own--fine--but if you are buying drop in it may cost a pretty penny. The alternative is to remove the batteries to a warm environment and then return them to the RV.

I realize this is an outlier possibility--but it is the situation in which I live and RV in.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
PerryB67 wrote:

I'm not sold on lithium, live in Minnesota, don't want to remove our batteries in cold weather, and have a seasonal campsite with no trees to shade us in the afternoon, where it reaches near/over 100F in the little valley at least 30 days a year. These are just some of the problems/reasons to purchase our 260 ah Soneil SiO2 batteries. I no longer have to nag at Terry for her to conserve energy.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Enjoy,

Perry

why would you have to remove them? just have a shut off switch and turn them off when you leave.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
PerryB67 wrote:
The most amps to come out of the pair was around 84 amps. They are 220 ah 6 volt batteries and should have 110 available ah's, so 84 ah's is well within reason.

...was set correctly for AGM batteries and again, they were never below 84 ah.
I didn't know amps were directly comparable to amp-hours. Can you elaborate?
Corrected from my phone.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
At the end of this sailing season, I will report how well the FireFly Carbon Foam batteries I just installed in a client's performance cruiser. Because most of the deckspace is working area, the solar portion is very limited. I am going to have to find a bigger alternator that is no larger because what the main engine is came equipped with is only 50Amp and that may take a long time to recover the pair of ~110Ah Gp 31s. Trick is finding one with a tachometer output.

Firefly says that these can be discharged to less the 50%SOC with no reduction in capacity. If I can qualify this, I will let you know.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PerryB67 wrote:
The most amps to come out of the pair was around 84 amps. They are 220 ah 6 volt batteries and should have 110 available ah's, so 84 ah's is well within reason.

...was set correctly for AGM batteries and again, they were never below 84 ah.
I didn't know amps were directly comparable to amp-hours. Can you elaborate?

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
PerryB67,

I look forward to hearing about your system.
Lwiddis wrote:
PLEASE post a review in 6 months, OP.
I plan on posting my results to this thread as I see them happen.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
PerryB67 wrote:
BFL13 and any other SiO2 owners:

We also have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, that we purchased when our first set of Crown 6v AGM batteries failed. Two years later (January 2021) our second set failed, so we purchased the Soneil batteries from Azmuth.

I would be curious as to what caused two sets of Crownโ€™s to fail, and if you were able to correct the situation??

3 tons
The first set failed after 3 months and both 6v's were sent back to Crown by the replacement dealer. I was later asked if I had dropped the battery that failed. I hadn't, but perhaps the shipping company did. They were shipped to our door.

I installed the Victron BMV-712 monitor after the first failure for better monitoring. The most amp hours to come out of the pair was around 84 ah's. They were 220 ah 6 volt batteries and should have 110 available ah's, so 84 ah's is well within reason. I also now have replaced the GoPower controller for a Victron 100/20 and can see the last 30 days of history. Nothing shows up as being suspect! You can fool me once, even twice, but not three times!

The replacement batteries lasted 2 years before failure. The GoPower was set correctly for AGM batteries and again, they were never below 84 ah. When I removed the second set I noticed they were bowed out at the sides, but that is typical for AGM's.

I feel 100 ah's is not enough for us and we don't have an inverter (yet). We can stay for two weeks without services and in Minnesota that can be under trees. We have a 100 watt Renogy portable for that situation. BUT we want to charge our phones, computers, run lights at random, etc. and couldn't do that with only 110 ah's.

Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 wrote:

We also have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, that we purchased when our first set of Crown 6v AGM batteries failed. Two years later (January 2021) our second set failed, so we purchased the Soneil batteries from Azmuth.

I would be curious as to what caused two sets of Crownโ€™s to fail, and if you were able to correct the situation??

3 tons

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
PLEASE post a review in 6 months, OP.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
PerryB67,

I look forward to hearing about your system.
Regards, Don

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is some private question, I can PM you, but usually, it is possible to discuss batteries here no worries.

EDIT--ok now see above post. So what is the question? I tried AGMs for my scenario and they couldn't handle the high draws apparently, so I am trying these batts.

Won't know if that was a good move until we get to use them a bunch over the next year or two --assuming things get going again ๐Ÿ˜ž
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer

In January we purchased a pair of Soneil 260ah, 6v batteries from Azmuth Solar.

We currently have a single 170 watt solar panel on the roof of our camper going to a Victron 100/30 smart controller. We also have a 100 watt portable going to a Victron 100/20 controller. Both controllers are hooked up separately to our battery bank. All works well!

For jollies, I'm trying to make a list of SiO2 owners, their setups, and any experiences they may contribute. I have no intentions of publicly listing anyone's name, unless it's OK'd by them.

I'm hoping you'll add to the list.

Thanks,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ