Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

white paper on SiO2 batteries

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Finally found one. It compares Lead Acid, Nickel Based, Lead Crystal and Lithium Based Batteries chemistries.

https://azimuthsolar.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/study-of-comparison-of-characteristic.pdf
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
12 REPLIES 12

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
noteven wrote:
I'm still thinkin' SiO2 is a worthy option in the Canadian weather neglected rv sector....

yup it is if you camp below -17ish or consistant daytime highs below 0 longer than the capacity of your battery. but cost wise isn't the reason. I just priced out SI02 batteries here and to get the same capacity (usable) it is slightly more with SI02 (maybe thats the special BC price) if I do the rool my own (which it looks like I am) then SI02 becomes over 2 to 3 times the price for the same usable AH.

I would also argue that if your willing to move your batteries into the living space (LFP have zero off gasing and can be mounted in any orentation) that you can camp at -40. but anything below -20C would require a heating pad to prewarm the batteries to -20 before starting the furnace, but once the furnace is going now issues.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
noteven wrote:
I'm still thinkin' SiO2 is a worthy option in the Canadian weather neglected rv sector....

It is a better solution than LiFePo4, and cheaper unless you wish to "roll your own".

I have ordered one for my generator. The remote electric start has killed off two agm's so far--and the SiO2 replacement is actually cheaper.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
if you take the Li batteries specs right out of this comparison, I wont call it a white paper because it uses sales littiture as references in some cases. but it is a good comparison of agm, lead acid and Lead crystal. to bad they used a 20 year old Li tech in the comparison but thats the way to make the other stuff look better I guess.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
PerryB67 said, โ€œ but it helps to dispel the arguments against SiO2.โ€

Maybe itโ€™s slipped my fuzzy mind, but personally I donโ€™t recall any *substantive arguments against SiO2, in fact, if my needs were like PTโ€™s (say, a non-heated battery box, e.g. sub-zero temps) I too would consider SiO2 as a highly competitive choiceโ€ฆIn the end, Iโ€™m quite sure youโ€™ll experience no regrets with what seems a sage choice ๐Ÿ™‚

*initial cost, but offset by longevityโ€ฆ

3 tons
On another forum our choice was met by a few ridiculous arguments.

At least two insulting posts were removed by moderators and I received a couple of PM's, supporting my position, about the negative attitude shown. In the end I just left the Debbie Downers alone though.

From what I've seen so far the SiO2's were the correct choice for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
PerryB67 said, โ€œ but it helps to dispel the arguments against SiO2.โ€

Maybe itโ€™s slipped my fuzzy mind, but personally I donโ€™t recall any *substantive arguments against SiO2, in fact, if my needs were like PTโ€™s (say, a non-heated battery box, e.g. sub-zero temps) I too would consider SiO2 as a highly competitive choiceโ€ฆIn the end, Iโ€™m quite sure youโ€™ll experience no regrets with what seems a sage choice ๐Ÿ™‚

*initial cost, but offset by longevityโ€ฆ

3 tons

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
I received this and a couple of other papers last winter. This is an old paper, as are the others I found, and does not include LiFePO, but it helps to dispel the arguments against SiO2.

Our Soneil 260 ah SiO2's are still running perfectly. It's amazing how fast they charge, much, much faster than our AGM's. It's still too early for me to give a wholesale recommendation though.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Per BFL, โ€œI have not been able to really use my two SiO2s in the camper since last December due to Covidโ€.

BFL, Interesting, but AFAIK thereโ€™s not been reported a single case of LiFePO4โ€™s getting Covid!!

3 tons

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not clear on how much they tested the SiO2 themselves or used reported data from somewhere else.

Interesting that they say to charge FLAs at least at 10% charging rate, but no more than about 25%. I have found that rv/marine 12s like low and slow under 10% as long as you keep doing that till they get to 16v. Otherwise it is a real chore trying to get them to full SG.

I have not been able to really use my two SiO2s in the camper since last December due to Covid, so they have just been floating except for a deep cycle test in July to make sure they were ok. They were.

I think I will move them to the MH to get a 6 batt bank for the winter and just go with a single 12 in the camper for the day-running it only does these days.

I agree with PT to wait till next year when you will have a chance to use them before spending the big bucks.

I see Azimuth still has 36 of the ones he got 50 of before Xmas, but he has jacked up the "sale" price some lately. Don't understand that! Shelf life is happening big time there! Would have thought the price would drop by now.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Ignoring the less than professional grammar (reminds me of an item manufactured in China with a manual translated into English by someone in China), it's a pretty interesting read.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks pianotuna

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for locating that item and posting it!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."