cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Went out of town a couple weeks ago. When we arrived and went to put the main slide out, it stopped after moving close to 6". Pushed button again and only one motor would start going and it only went an inch or so. Tried to retract it and it would only come back that inch.
Had an RV mobile tech come out and he found the controller and stated it gave a error code of a short. So, he got his ladder out and removed a screw from the seal at the top of the slide and disengaged the motor. We got it pushed back in. Hadn't had a chance to get it to the dealer to fix yet, but we were at the show in Charlotte this past Sunday and was talking to the old sales manager that sold us the rig (he's at another dealership now). Was telling him about the issue and a representative from Thor overheard us and came and told us there was a simpler way of getting the slide back in. Many people may know this, but we didn't and many others may not know either.

This is on a 2013 Thor Chateau Class C with a Schwintek. He said to locate the controller and unplug both cables from it. He said this will free up the motors. He said you should be able to push in the slide. Once you have it pushed in, just plug the two cables back in to the controller. He said this would re-engage the motor (basically locking it from what I understand). It's not fixing whatever issue, but it's an easy way to get the slide back in when you are limited on time and can't do it the other way or get someone to you. It made me feel better that there was an easy way. I told him they need to educate the dealers more on this so that they can include it in the PDI as a what if type of thing. But of course the dealers want you to pay them to deal with it...lol

Just some FYI
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
11 REPLIES 11

rskrbina
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I hope, if needed, all of this will come in handy.
Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
HERE is a detailed troubleshooting guide,

Block diagnostics

Over-rides: Electronic, Unplug controller and disengage motors

Error Codes

As for the guide, it says 6 blinks is a short. I believe the rv tech said he counted 8 blinks and looked at the label on the controller and he said that was a short. I haven't climbed in there to look specifically at it. But it could be a possibility that the codes could be different in the guide posted here than what is labeled on a controller. I will look at it more this weekend to see.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
rskrbina wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, that is one way to get a Schwintek in or out. But as always, you were told by someone that has NEVER attempted to do that. He was instructed or read about it, but has never done it. Yes, you can disengage the controller(I prefer to disconnect the 12 volt power which is easier). But it takes some mighty strong People(usually 3 or 4) to push the Scwhintek mechanism. The better way as long as the Red and Black motor wires are not damaged, is to put into OVERRIDE and then use the motors to bring it in or out. IF a motor is defective and stuck then you cannot push anyways. Always try the OVERRIDE method FIRST, then try the manual push in. Doug

I haven't heard the term "OVERRIDE" before. How would I put mine in this mode? Thanks

Look at the first 2 videos I posted or read the troubleshooting guide that Old-Biscuit posted. :?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wbwood wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rskrbina wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, that is one way to get a Schwintek in or out. But as always, you were told by someone that has NEVER attempted to do that. He was instructed or read about it, but has never done it. Yes, you can disengage the controller(I prefer to disconnect the 12 volt power which is easier). But it takes some mighty strong People(usually 3 or 4) to push the Scwhintek mechanism. The better way as long as the Red and Black motor wires are not damaged, is to put into OVERRIDE and then use the motors to bring it in or out. IF a motor is defective and stuck then you cannot push anyways. Always try the OVERRIDE method FIRST, then try the manual push in. Doug

I haven't heard the term "OVERRIDE" before. How would I put mine in this mode? Thanks

That is done at the controller...it is an ELECTRONIC override.
Push the 'mode' button 6 times quickly then on 7th time you hold it for 5 seconds before releasing.
Then you use the normal control switch to retract slide.

If there is a short in the wire and one of the motors is not working, then it will not work would it? You would need both motors to have power to them I would think.

There are 6 wires. As I stated, as long as the short or open is NOT on the Red and Black motor wires in the harness, the Override will work. Other shorts do not stop an Override. In Override ONLY the Red and Black are energized. Doug

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rskrbina wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Push the 'mode' button 6 times quickly then on 7th time you hold it for 5 seconds before releasing.

If there is a short in the wire and one of the motors is not working, then it will not work would it? You would need both motors to have power to them I would think.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rskrbina wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rskrbina wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

There is a hole(square) in the control box that has the Red and Green LED blinking lights. Beside those lights is a black button. You use a ball point pin and push that button 7 times and then hold it down until BOTH Led's starting blinking rapidly. That puts the control in Override for 3 to 4 minutes. When in override, the motors will run in or out with no timing or counting of the revolutions. When the room is fully retracted or extended -STOP- in a few minutes override will time out and your room stays put. To start the room again put it in override again until you can get it fixed. The sequence of those LED lights tell you what the fault is and that is listed on the label on the controller. Doug

rskrbina
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
HERE is a detailed troubleshooting guide,

Block diagnostics

Over-rides: Electronic, Unplug controller and disengage motors

Error Codes

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGL4aILZYcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojUdPDWNS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSafAnjxIV4

In addition to the OPs helpful information, here are 3 videos from Lippert that are useful.