Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar again?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi all
I know, Im sure this has been answered before somewhere here but what the heck. While I was just sitting being lazy today, I said why don't I go on top of the MH and measure some to see what kind of room I have up their. Well, between all the antenna's, air conditioners, vents and such, I came up with some figures.

After looking at dimensions of some of the larger 24 volt panels, it started to look like I might be better off with the smaller 12 volt 100-140 watt types. Anyways, it appears I may have room for 4-6 panels probably configured in 2 or 3 two panel groups. Im getting to the question.....would it be wise to series wire each set of two panels and then parallel, giving me 2 or 3 24 volt arrays? Im just in the "thinking" process now but since I took the first step to measure, may as well ask away....:B

We don't do a lot of dry camping/boondocking but I could do a lot more, I currently have (6) 6 volt batteries.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
24 REPLIES 24

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Jim,

How do you get 200 amp-hours from 230 watts of panels? It seems pretty high.

Don't forget my daily haul figures for one 130w panel
Flat- 56AH
Tilted pointing South- 70AH
"Tracking"- 90AH

So 200AH with 230w "tracking" in the conditions Jim describes seems reasonable to me. AND, he cheats! (He has MPPT ๐Ÿ™‚ )

BFL

I'm waiting to see what you say about that fake MPPT controller, for $12 I'll take the 12a or so that my 220w panel will put out "up there".
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Acamping,

They seem to have reasonable prices and excellent specials.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a good point....I did notice there in Norco? So it would be not all that bad of a drive for me too and Yep, Id hate to drive all way down there to find out they were out of stock on what I wanted. Sounds like something Id do!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Thank you for the additional comments.....after reading through the vast amount of threads regarding Solar, it appears Solar Blvd is one of the more popular places to purchase?

I bought my equipment at SB because they have good prices, sell single panels, and they are local to me to save shipping. Although I have ordered stuff sent also.

If you plan to drop in be sure to call first as they told me not all inventory is not on site all the time. May take a day to have it in stock.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for converting to Links.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the additional comments.....after reading through the vast amount of threads regarding Solar, it appears Solar Blvd is one of the more popular places to purchase?
96 Vogue Prima Vista

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
Im getting to the question.....would it be wise to series wire each set of two panels and then parallel, giving me 2 or 3 24 volt arrays? Im just in the "thinking" process now but since I took the first step to measure, may as well ask away....:B

We don't do a lot of dry camping/boondocking but I could do a lot more, I currently have (6) 6 volt batteries.

If all panels are matched you could put all in series. The panels need to have bypass diodes and you will need an MPPT controller. Otherwise I prefer the simplicity of the series configuration.

May as well get lower cost 24v panels from the start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
would it be wise to series wire each set of two panels and then parallel, giving me 2 or 3 24 volt arrays?.
Depends. As you go up in voltage your wiring can become smaller. More expensive controller though. If you're prewired from the roof that may not be a very big wire.

I run 6 panels in series.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Jim,

Don't forget my daily haul figures for one 130w panel
Flat- 56AH
Tilted pointing South- 70AH
"Tracking"- 90AH

So 200AH with 230w "tracking" in the conditions Jim describes seems reasonable to me. AND, he cheats! (He has MPPT ๐Ÿ™‚ )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Don

Tracking I easily average 15a from just after sun up to dusk. Last trip the sun was fully up by 6am and set at 8:30 pm. That's up to 14 hours at 15a. (210a)

You have to remember the altitude I camp at. 9-10,000 ft really supercharges the panel to the point I can get up to 14a in PWM from a panel rated for 8.33a. Most of the day it can do closer to 16a if needed. ( enough to run a 12v auto drip coffee pot and not lower the batteries voltage)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Jim,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You can't get much simpler than our set up. A 230w panel, a set of 25ft cords, a cheap ebay controller with a short run to the battery. Unmounted and completely portable, it provides for us flat but should the need come, I use a pair of pine slats and a set of c clamps so that I can track the sun from dawn to dusk. That's over 200 ah and more power than we can use currently. (not bad for $200)

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
RJ is not fishin' today.

No troll here either. If it works, no need to fix something.
Nice quiet EU1000i along with 200w's Solar seems to work well together. Old saying, 'one hand washes the other'.

So much can be learned here on RV.NET Tech Issues. Trial, error and maybe some blue smoke.

Glad these threads prodded me toward Solar even this late in life. Me thinks it's fun time in the sun. And it helps make the world more beautiful GREEN.

Thanks RJ,

O$S
Floyd

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Again, the little I've played w/ my portable 200 watt system, I don't see any problems. If I have full sun every day, I sure don't have any problem, especially if I follow the sun thru the day using my solar mount, but I can't depend on full sun every day, not even in Quartzsite AZ, But that is still not a problem. If it looks like its going to be a short sun day, I'll use my little eu1000 to start the charge in the morning when the batteries are the "deadest", and the PD 45 amp charger will put out its max for a few minutes, then taper to 30 amps for quite a while. Do you even realize how much solar time I will gain by running my little generator for even 15 minutes, charging at 30-45 amps ??
Yes, I'm sure you grus do, not hard to figure out for sure.
Like was said, solar is only as complicated as some purposely make it.
And then there are those that just think way too much !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.