cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar, Generator or ?

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Next year I am planning a few days of 'off grid' camping to do some astronomy. Usually I go to star parties with full hook-up but planning on doing some solo in some nat'l parks.

My question is what is a cost effective way to recharge my battery while I'm off grid? Should I go solar, generator or just add another battery? I will need a minimal of power to run the detectors, propane fridge and an hour per day of water pump all of this will be off grid for 4 days max.

So what would you do? Remember I am planning to do this once or twice per summer.

Thanks.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!
30 REPLIES 30

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be better of with a second battery than a second solar panel. It doesn't matter how much you charge during the day if you don't have the capacity to store it through the night.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don, will read tomorrow, long day.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Fred, I have two portable power packs for my celestron cpc telescope, so I'm good for a few nights. Also, I have a 16” Dobson telescope that I made myself, yes mirror and all, so minimun of power there, just power pack to run dew heaters.
Since I already have a 75w solar panel I think I'll add another 75w that will give me a total of 150 watts. Should be fine?

Doug, adding another battery sounds good to me, could you suggest make and model?
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Here is a simple flow chart.

Budget-->Energy Audit-->Battery bank size-->number of watts-->PWM or MPPT. What ever type of controller is chosen, make sure it has adjustable set points and a temperature probe that is on the battery.

If you use solar as a battery charger, one rule of thumb is between 60 and 150 watts of panels per 100 amp-hours of storage. The smaller the battery bank the higher the wattage needed (per 100 amp-hours). Here is a link to the rather special spreadsheet which includes an energy audit, that N8GS has created to help size solar battery charging systems!
solar spreadsheet by N8GS

If you full time or use an inverter lots, then populate the entire unshaded area of the roof with panels. I'm considering replacing my awning with solar panels.

For a nice explanation of solar, try this link:
Golden rules of solar
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 Trojan 6-volt total 225 amp hour batteries. When my wife and I boondock in the summer months, and in conserve mode, we can enjoy our time using about 20 amps per day, about 10%. After about 6 days, it's time to recharge the batteries, dump the tanks and refill the fresh water tank.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
With the 75 watt panel you have, I might be willing to chance it with the battery you have if it is a true deep cycle with something in the range of 80 AH capacity. If you're not sure of the battery, I'd bite the bullet and get 2 GC's.

You mention nat'l parks; Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park in Florida is a place to go to if you get a chance. I'm not an astronomy buff, but I do like the sky; this park is the only place where I've ever seen the sky as clearly as when I was at sea in the Navy. It was awesome!!

Doug

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Your RV should be using 35 amp hours per day to run the propane, CO detectors and the refrigerator. That is about what one 120 watt solar panel will make up in one day. Of course you probably also want to run a small inverter to power the telescope while it is tracing whatever star you are looking at?

You might want a 300 watt 12 to 120 VAC inverter that plugs directly into a cigarette lighter. This will also charge your laptop, and other small devices.

If you already have one group 27 battery, then another will supply about 80 AH each or 160 total. If you also run a small generator for a couple of hours on the second day, you will put back around 25 AH per hour, and put back enough for another night. But generators are typically heavy, noisy (compared to the silent solar panels) and expensive (compared to a solar panel). Also the generator if you only use it twice each summer, then it sits for 9 months, it will be really difficult to start next time.

Solar has come down drastically in price. My 1994 set of panels where 90 watts, with a 15 amp controller, brackets, wiring instructions (this was before google) for $750. Back then you could rent a 4 BR house for that much each month! Now you can get a 140 watt panel for $229.

SunElec.com

You will want a 12 volt nominal panel (with 20 - 21 volts open circuit voltage). And a cheap PWM controller (I bought one for $13 that is rated at 20 amps). Mounts can be made from 6" long 2: angle aluminum (home depot) and wiring is grey Romex that is UV rated, and can be run underground or out in the rain.

Run the wires down the refrigerator vent, and to the controller, to the battery. You could also run it to your converter/12 volt battery box and wire it to a fuse there, to saving wiring costs, and make it easier on you.

IT should take you less than 4 hours to install the solar system. The wiring is really simple, as there is +12 volt wire, and - 12 volt wire. Do not connect both wires to the same terminal, and you have it right!

Buy a tube of rubber roof sealant, and put some on each mount between the roof and mount. Once it is dry, it will hold the mount to the roof, and 3 #10 screws into the roofing will also help. Put sealant over each screw once installed. 1/4" bolt into each corner of the solar panels, and that will hold the panel about 1" above the roof, so it stays cooler, and works better.

Now you will be ready to dry camp for years. I figure that my $3,000 system (with large inverter, 415 rated watts of panels, SB 50 MPPT controller and $375 Trimetric meter that measures the amp hours leaving the battery very accurately to monitor how much power is used minute by minute) has saved me well over $3000 in the first 10 years. Then in 2005, I full timed for 8 years without hookups, saving well over $10 a night, paying for it again in savings. From 2008 - 2013 I lived in the RV, without need to run the charger, saving energy that whole time.

Anyway you can move the solar panel from RV to RV for the next 30 years, and it will always be worth the $225 that you paid for it.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good set of jumper cables.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would go with a second battery and about 250 watts of solar.
Solar works year round to extend the life of the battery by keeping it charged.
I suspect you might expand your off-grid adventures once you see how easy it is.

The 75 watt panel is a bit under size but may get you through in good conditions and reasonable conservation. By any method to recharge, get a second battery.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
For once a year, I wouldn't bother with either.

You can always hook up the truck connector and run the truck for a while or better use jumper cables.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Personally, I'd go with the solar charger. With your usage, you won't be depleting your battery very fast. If you'll have good sunshine and a clear view of the sky, I'd go with this one:

Portable solar battery charger

It has it's own controller and is ready to go.

Jim

Great I already got a 75w solar with controller, but afraid with 'what if' cloudy/rainy days scenario.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
In keeping with what I have one 12v deep cycle battery what battery do you suggest?
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd go with the solar charger. With your usage, you won't be depleting your battery very fast. If you'll have good sunshine and a clear view of the sky, I'd go with this one:

Portable solar battery charger

It has it's own controller and is ready to go.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Extra battery. An hour/day of water pump seems excessive.

Ya your right it seems excessive.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
ProPride 3P Hitch
Love my Weber Q1200

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with a extra battery. Just make sure they are charged up well before and again after the trip. You can always turn the truck around and use a set of heavy jumper cables if needed.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator