cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar inverter 'charging' light... not lit

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Within the year, we purchased a 2004 Lance 915 used. It's been great. It seemed that the solar panel was charging, but I never did really check anything about it. I just know that when camping (I always dry camp) the batteries would show full charge by end of day. Now, however, it seems things have changed. I'm showing "G" rather than "C" at the end of any given day, and sometimes lower depending on what we do. It got me wondering. I peeked under the sink to find the solar box. There's an LED that has written next to it, 'charging'. I presume this will illuminate when the solar panel is actually charging the batteries?

We're leaving for a 4d trip tomorrow morning - of course, this just now came to my attention.

1. Is that led supposed to be lit when the panel is proving current to charge the battery?

2. is there a way I can test this box? my manual is worthless in this arena.

3. What is the most common thing to go wrong ... something I could check first?

Anything else you might offer would be great - I'm mechanical in nature, but when it comes to electronics, I've never taken an interest (sigh... wish I had).

I've been searching the forum here, but coming up short.
My truck: 1998 Dodge 2500 diesel, extra cab, long bed
My camper: 2004 Lance Lite 915
16 REPLIES 16

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I know one of the guys in the 'solar install' thread just drilled his out and ran the wire through it... but that's a bit of a project.

If the roof side is still OK you may want to just replace the connector on the panel side. You can find those connectors at most RV shops.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Ok. I'm going to have to wait until after our trip to dig the camper side plug out at the roof. Not sure how it's put through and attached at the roof - lots of self-leveling sealant surrounding it. boo. Well dang. Thanks again.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like an SAE connector, they are common on many of the 'packaged' panels. They're no good IMO

I'd change it to mc4 connectors. Ideally they should be crimped with the special crimping pliers but I have done it with needle nose pliers.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks, everybody - I found the problem. The two pronged, male/female plug at the roof is damaged. The male end is broken off. derp... now to find another plug end and get it replaced - assuming this is a user replaced part (with some crimping and soldering)?

I'm assuming this was a factory installed panel. Would you think I'd look to Lance for the part?? Would be nice if it was a complete cable instead of just the plug.

Again, thanks for all the ideas! That was huge.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a similar issue with my control box. No lights showing charging or charged. My meter read 23 volts from the panel. Unplug and test plug from panel. Then to verify that charger is working connect plug from panel to control box and disconnect feeds to battery and test voltage. It's probably 0. If you test while leads are on batttery, you will get voltage reading of batteries.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
There is a troubleshooting guide on the site. But the lack of voltage from the panel is the issue.
Voltage from the panel should be 18 Volts or so.
Check up on the roof to see if there is a disconnect, check voltage at the location where you unplugged the panel earlier. You should have voltage somewhere unless your panel is damaged.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
yeah you should have two + and two -, being a single panel it is a 12v nominal panel, it should be reading more like 18v from the panel.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Specialty Concepts has a website and the ASC is a product line.
Go to www.specialtyconcepts.com
They have a 10 years warranty and there is a customer tech support Phone #.

Pics are on the site to allow you to narrow down what model you have.

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
This is what it looks like...

ASC Specialty Concepts Solar

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'm guessing that the positive and negative sides are just that - +/- for the battery and +/- for the solar array. I was originally thinking this was just setup to accommodate a two panel system. The POS and NEG are just on opposite sides to make sure they're not going to get crossed. Yeah, I'm new....

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
I had to take a picture from under the cabinet: it says:
ASC SPECIALTY CONCEPTS, INC
Battery charge regulator
for photovoltaic systems

I don't see a model number. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Can you get the brand and model # from the controller?

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Another (bonehead) question - If I were to unplug the solar panel up at the roof - should I get a V reading? As a means to test, that is. If I'm getting a higher voltage reading up at the roof connection and only 1.5 down below (ARRAY at the solar regulator connection), that might tell me something?

BigWapiti
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I also threw a thick blanket over the solar panel ... it still reads 1.5V off the ARRAY post of the solar regulator. I'm lost....