cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panel Performance vs Panel Tilting

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following chart reflects solar panel performance for Denver, CO for the Summer Solstice on 6/20/16. The calculations are based on the USNO sun data which includes sun elevation and azimuth. The solar panel is also set to a given elevation (0 = vertical and 90 = flat) and azimuth. The RV Education website equations were used to calculate the suns angle on the solar panel and the power calculated based on 100W. The calculations do not reflect any parameters like air mass, atmosphere, temperature, shadows, etc. The calculations include the elevation and azimuth of both the sun and the panel.

The maximum sun elevation is 74 degrees and the sun azimuth is then 185 degrees. The solar panel orientation was set to the same values for the chart below. The chart shows the wattage for the day. Notice that for the early and late hours there is no panel output because the sun is behind the panel.

The total wattage for the day is 846Wh.

The following chart shows the Sun elevation and azimuth for the day. The right hand scale is for the azimuth.

The suns azimuth changes 243 degrees during the day.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
16 REPLIES 16

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Summary for Denver โ€“ 40 degrees latitude

Spring Vernal Equinox 3/19, elevation 50 degrees from vertical, 764W, flat 587W, 0 declination, Fall Autumnal Equinox 9/22 similar

Summer Solstice 6/20, elevation 74 degrees from vertical, 846W, flat 881W, max declination

Winter Solstice 12/21, elevation 27 degrees from vertical, 751W, flat 271W, min declination

Tilt the panel to or near the maximum sun elevation. Using latitude is less desirable and doesnโ€™t account for the earth declination which varies 47 degrees during the year.

The calculations used for this thread do not account for air mass, atmospheric conditions, etc that effect solar panel and that effect can be greater in the morning and afternoon.

Bob

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Put 1k of panel on my roof flat.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
And for Jim's pesky Denver noon time clouds rotating the panel 45 degrees to a azimuth of 133 degrees yields this chart. ๐Ÿ™‚

But not much afternoon power from the sun. ๐Ÿ˜ž

It's a choice of morning sun or afternoon clouds, it doesn't take much to hold float in the afternoon.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to say add another panel but for some of us it isn't quite that simple.

My roof is maxed out without racking to avoid obstacles with the fourth panel. I wouldn't get much out of a fourth panel except for a hot controller as it would be over paneling most of the time. So after racking the panels and replacing the controller, I'd need to find a match to my high voltage panels or risk confusing the controller. Were I not able to find a match, I'd have to buy a new set. Might as well upgrade to the next size up since I racked them, right.

So after a small fortune and a lot of effort, I could go from 750w to over 1700w and avoid tilting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I don't tilt my panels anymore because I don't want to risk damage to my roof, or breaking my leg either.

It is now cheaper to get an additional panel than to tilt and worry about your time on the roof.

I can recall my first 90 watt system with controller, mounts, wiring, ect. for $750. Then upgrading in 96 with a 75 watt panel for $375 - only $5 per watt! Later in 99, I installed some 120 watt for $429. Now you can get 140W for $229. Much less expensive than the original prices, and wages have gone way up, so what would have taken a couple weeks pay can now be paid off in one day's work.

Good luck,

Fred.

2X here. Add more solar and don't worry about it
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Repeat of many test done in the pass.

That is why I have 1000 watts, so I do not have to geton roof and tilt.

Sorry
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And for Jim's pesky Denver noon time clouds rotating the panel 45 degrees to a azimuth of 133 degrees yields this chart. ๐Ÿ™‚

But not much afternoon power from the sun. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following chart reflects solar panel performance for Denver, CO for the Winter Solstice on 12/21/16. The maximum sun elevation is 27 degrees and the sun azimuth is then 178 degrees. The solar panel was set those same values for the chart.

This chart shows the wattage for the day based on 100W.

The total wattage for the day is 751Wh. This is only 11% less than the 846Wh for the Summer Solstice. Panel tilting makes this possible.

The following chart shows the Sun elevation and azimuth for the day. The right hand scale is for the azimuth.

The suns azimuth changes 119 degrees during the day.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:

I disagree that tilting doesn't make a difference in the summer. Further south, likely, but up north, it does. Not near as much as fall/winter/spring but it does.

I see about 20% increase in output in the summer between a flat panel and one tilted properly at 45 degrees north.

Easy way to set panel optimally

hold a empty TP or paper towel tube perpendicular on the panel
Adjust for zero shadow.
Done.

If I'm not around for the day, I set it for ideal around mid day.
To be clear I was referring to the Summer Solstice in Denver and per the above post the panel is set to the maximum sun elevation which is only 16 degrees from being flat. Under those conditions tilting doesn't buy much on that day. Different days and locations merit their own consideration for tilting.

Bob

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:

It is now cheaper to get an additional panel than to tilt and worry about your time on the roof.

^^THIS^^
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tilt my panels anymore because I don't want to risk damage to my roof, or breaking my leg either.

I can recall my first 90 watt system with controller, mounts, wiring, ect. for $750. Then upgrading in 96 with a 75 watt panel for $375 - only $5 per watt! Later in 99, I installed some 120 watt for $429. Now you can get 140W for $229. Much less expensive than the original prices, and wages have gone way up, so what would have taken a couple weeks pay can now be paid off in one day's work.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Summer tilting makes little difference and leaving he panels flat is close to optimal. And panel azimuth makes virtually no difference.

I'm working on the winter charts where tilting is very beneficial. Also advancing the panel azimuth can help compensate for those noon clouds. ๐Ÿ™‚

I chose Denver not for the weather but because it's about mid latitude for the lower 48.

I disagree that tilting doesn't make a difference in the summer. Further south, likely, but up north, it does. Not near as much as fall/winter/spring but it does.

I see about 20% increase in output in the summer between a flat panel and one tilted properly at 45 degrees north.

Easy way to set panel optimally

hold a empty TP or paper towel tube perpendicular on the panel
Adjust for zero shadow.
Done.

If I'm not around for the day, I set it for ideal around mid day.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Summer tilting makes little difference and leaving he panels flat is close to optimal. And panel azimuth makes virtually no difference.

I'm working on the winter charts where tilting is very beneficial. Also advancing the panel azimuth can help compensate for those noon clouds. ๐Ÿ™‚

I chose Denver not for the weather but because it's about mid latitude for the lower 48.

Bob

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That can't be Denver, there are no clouds at noon. lol

Tilting in the summer cost you early and late, plus doesn't benefit much at noon over flat. Tilting in the winter makes much better sense due to limited loss early and late and a large benefit over flat at noon.

Now unless we are in a drought year, if you come here in the summer, tilt to the south east. Take advantage of the morning sun before the clouds roll in between 11 am and 1 pm and drop them flat after that.