cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solera Power Awning problem

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 20' Solera Power Awning it's now five years old and has always worked for me, but......I just noticed today; I extended it but when I brought it back in, it must be moving at about ¼ the speed it used to. It always moved just a little slower than going out, but now, it must have taken almost 3 minutes to retract. I was thinking, great I have to use the manual to get it back in, and I'm thinking where I can get a ladder, but it did make it. But now I am afraid to extend it as it just may not make it back, I suppose if I had a 6' ladder with me I could manually do it but I don't. Any suggestions, or has anyone had this happen to them?
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
9 REPLIES 9

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
My new motor came today, it was an easy switch over, except for one small surprise. I tied off the arm about two feet from the motorhome wall so as not to let the roller go rolling away when I removed the motor. So I removed two bolts from the motor and while loosening the third bolt I noticed there was a tension still on the roller, of course it had to be the material (about two feet worth) was starting to make a big U, LOL, the weight of the material between the two polls was enough to run the roller. So I had to hold the roller from running remove the old motor and install the new motor with the bolts again. Now to make up the connection. OK put it all together and works great full out. And it works all the way back in, but, it is still so slow coming back in. I guess it must have always done that as I just don't remember, my memory isn't what it used to be. But it works, and that is what I care about. I checked voltage at the battery and I have 13.5 volts (I have 600watts of solar on the roof.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Got the new motor on today. Works as it should so far. Have to wait to determine its longevity. It is quiter than the original ever was.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Definitely cheaper by far than one for a Dometic/A&E.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Awning motor

This is the one I got.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Does your motor look like this one? Dorman
Talk about markup!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW, I found my replacement motor on Ebay. They wanted ridiculous prices everywhere else, and a guy had motors that had been pulled from salvaged awnings. The prices were good, as were the motors as it turned out. Amazon could easily be higher than you can find if you search around a bit. Amazon is usually my last choice for a lot of stuff, just due to their high prices.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. I had that feeling that was it. I didn't think of Amazon, I'll check that out.

Again,
Thanks
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dometic/A&E 20' awning was acting the same way. It finally got so it wouldn't retract without a little help from a pole giving it a little push. I pulled the motor and it was shot, hardly any oomph even wired directly to the battery. I bought a new motor, installed it, and back in business.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely the motor. Mine recently died. Fortunately it was in the driveway before a trip. My replacement motor is supposed to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.