cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing with gas in tank, for a year or more?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, I'd like your advice!

I probably won't be driving my van in the next 12 months.

It has a full gas tank, regular gas. It's up on leveling blocks and I would like to keep it that way, because it was level when it was loaded for travel and I have since unloaded it. I want to build some cabinets in there and I want to maintain my sense of what is level when loaded.

I have some startron, and possibly also some seafoam. I didn't add anything when I filled the tank. If I add some now, and leave the engine running for half an hour or so, will that mix the startron in well enough? Or is it going to eat a hole in my gas fill tube or something?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
30 REPLIES 30

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd put in Marine Stabil --- more expensive but works. I don't like to leave things sit, but I just started my outboard boat (carburated) that sat for 2 years with a full tank of gas treated with marine stabil. Started up and after a few minutes was running fine.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ndrorder wrote:
Another vote for seafoam here. Have never found premium gas to be any more stable than regular. Whether diluted in a gallon of gas or not, the seafoam will mix through diffusion in a day or 2. After a couple days idle the van or take a short drive.

Van is up on blocks for storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Stabil for years with no problems, sometimes going several years before starting a small engine. I'm sure Seafoam would be comparable. However, I also ONLY use non-ethanol fuel for long term storage.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for seafoam here. Have never found premium gas to be any more stable than regular. Whether diluted in a gallon of gas or not, the seafoam will mix through diffusion in a day or 2. After a couple days idle the van or take a short drive.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
pure gas with marine grade stabil. It's expensive and worth every penny.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I use Stabil in my boat gas tank. It sits over the winter from last September to about May. I've never had any problems with the gas in the spring. But, I always use ethanol free gas.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man i love Startron for gasoline (especially gas with ethanol). Archoil for diesel. If you dont have a fuel jug a regular water bottle will hold gasoline for years and not leak. I would get a gallon of fresh gas and mix up your starTron concentration for whatever size tank you have. Then just rock the van back and forth. It will mix.

What state did you buy the gas in? Maybe youre lucky and have non ethanol gas.

Curious to learn more about what the gentleman said regarding engine temps and evaporating moisture. Of course the differentials will stay cold. But wont the motor oil itself get to operating temps and boil off the water?

Its the reason you never want to buy a used car from someone who says "barely use the car i work 5 mins away from home".

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
Seafoam? For a gas stabilizer? Hmmmm.....

It states so on the can that it stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years. I have not gone that far but have gone a year on my generator without any problems.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jdc1,

I tried stabil. It did not work well in my generator. The next year I tried seafoam. It worked well. I only use premium gas in the generator.

I've used seafoam for 2 years in my car, for a 4 month storage period. I switch to premium gas for the last two fill ups.

I use seafoam for summer and winter storage for the motorhome (class c v10 from 2005). I switch to premium for the last two fills.

Seafoam did not work well in my generator for an 18 month storage. I had to add some gas treatment to clear out the old fuel.

My brother has also switched to seafoam from stabil. His vehicles are stored for up to ten months per year.

This is not proof. It is anecdotal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Sea Foam as a gas stabilizer in my small engines for years with no problems.
They always start easily in the spring/winter.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seafoam? For a gas stabilizer? Hmmmm.....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How far was it driven after being filled?

Perhaps there is room to add some small amount of gas? (premium preferred).

If so, get some seafoam, put the appropriate amount in the tank, and pour in the premium fuel to "wash it down into the tank".

It would be a good idea to run the engine for some time the next day after the treatment has had time to mix.

I find seafoam better than stabil.
Regards, Don

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Running you engine every month without driving the van is a really bad idea. The engine and oil will not get hot enough to boil the contaminants out of the oil.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d put stabil in it and run for a half hour or so. if possible run it every month for a half hour. the viberation might mix it .

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldnโ€™t store gasoline in a vehicle for a year with or without any stabilizer. โ€œIf youโ€™re asking for trouble, Pilgrim, youโ€™ll likely get trouble.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad