cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange DC problem

rbrak29
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced batteries with new deep cycle RV batteries as they failed a load test. Charged via shore power (13.7 volts at SeeLevel monitor). Voltage at battery: 12.8 volts, voltage at SeeLevel: 9.0 (shore power off). Off shore power LED lights do come on, but are very dim and flicker. On shore power everything works fine. Why such a voltage drop?
9 REPLIES 9

rbrak29
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Did you hook everything up exactly as it was before?

Looks right to me.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I also suspect a wiring error when the new batteries were installed.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you hook everything up exactly as it was before?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rbrake,

By your reported measurements, you have some important connection wrong. I can't begin to guess where, but I promise you that there is a connection that needs to be found before you loose the new batteries.

Do you have a juice friendly relative or friend? Or is there a mobile service guy that you can hire?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If all else fails check that ou have an excellent ground to the frame from the batteries. I chased DC gremlins for months before I tracked that down. I ran a number 4 wire as the ground and everything works great now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbrak29 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
We need more information.

What type of converter? What kind of batteries? How many amp-hours is the bank?

No idea as to the converter. 2019 Airstream Nest. Twin Interstate deep cycle SRM24, 81 amp-hr batteries.

A 2019 Airstream PROBABLY has a WFCO. Open the cover over the circuit breakers. There should be a data label inside that cover.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rbrak29
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

No idea as to the converter. 2019 Airstream Nest. Twin Interstate deep cycle SRM24, 81 amp-hr batteries.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your DC power converter uses a relay to switch all the 12 volt loads in the RV over to battery power when no AC shore power is present - The contacts in the relay may be bad.

Typically, when this happens, you can smack the side of your converter to reduce the voltage drop across the relay contacts.

Cleaning the relay contacts may be a fix. Otherwise, either the relay or the entire converter will need to be replaced.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.