cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange sweet smell coming from air conditioner

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Our A/C (coleman-mach) has a strange smell, kind of sweet, almost like some type of aerosol spray lube. I can't quite put my finger on it but my wife thought it smelled like freon. I can't recall the smell of freon so I don't know but it is cooling just fine. I've run it for days hoping the smell would dissipate but it hasn't. Suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Well the smell came back the next morning but we figured it out. The opening cut for the AC wasn't sealed and there was a delamination so it was pulling a bunch of air from in between the the layers of fiberglass. Gorilla taped it up and all is better...with the AC at least.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that you found the problem.

Once I found bees flying into a hole in a building, and they had to come out and spray it to kill the bees. I guess they left the honeycombs inside the walls.

Honey does not decompose.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
well i found a huge wasp nest up there and took it out. opened everything up, no smell. closed everything up, ran it, faint smell for just a second then gone. i really can't see a wasp nest causing that smell but i didn't change or remove anything else...

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When you go searching, watch out for hornets or bees.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may have already done this:

Google: your question
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I had one in the heater blower of the toad. It got musical as well as aromatic when I switched on the fan.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely not a dead mouse. That smell I know all too well.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like it could be a decomposing dead mouse.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
If you had a Freon/410 leak bad enough for you to smell it inside, it would then NOT cool. You state it has cooled correctly for a few days. They only hold 1 lb. of coolant, and if a leak bad enough to smell inside, it would not have enough coolant to continue cooling. Something else is causing that smell. Check the upper unit condenser and evap for foreign debris. Doug

Thanks, I'll get up there tonight and check.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If you had a Freon/410 leak bad enough for you to smell it inside, it would then NOT cool. You state it has cooled correctly for a few days. They only hold 1 lb. of coolant, and if a leak bad enough to smell inside, it would not have enough coolant to continue cooling. Something else is causing that smell. Check the upper unit condenser and evap for foreign debris. Doug

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Many Freon lubricants emit a sweet odor. If your A/C is cooling properly it cannot be that. Check for oil seepage at a return line connections.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
When an AC ices up it sometimes will have an unusual smell. Just my experience.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
A fridge going bad will emit an ammonia smell. If its just starting to go you may not get the whole strong in your face wiff of it. And that is what you are smelling.

That's what happened to me it wasn't the whole ammonia smell in your face and I thought it smelled like an aerosol too. Sadly the fridge might be on its way out.

hmm, i know ammonia and this didn't remind me of that at all... not as pungent, no watery eyes or difficulty breathing. And by fridge you mean A/C, right? The thing can't be more than a year old, hope it's not going out already.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
A fridge going bad will emit an ammonia smell. If its just starting to go you may not get the whole strong in your face wiff of it. And that is what you are smelling.

That's what happened to me it wasn't the whole ammonia smell in your face and I thought it smelled like an aerosol too. Sadly the fridge might be on its way out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.