cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stuck slide

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
The slide on my brand new trailer is stuck in the out position.

When I tried to pull it in, the back end moved, but the front end did not. After a few back and forth tries, neither end moves.

My previous trailer had a crank so I could move it manually, but I canโ€™t find one on this trailer. Have they done away with them?

I canโ€™t even figure out where the motor is.

After it stopped moving, I found the controller, which was flashing 8 times, which the label says is โ€œshort in wire from controller to motorโ€ This is a covered underbelly, so I canโ€™t see the wires, and it is still under warranty, so I donโ€™t want to tear too much apart.

The trailer is an rPod 195.

I am plugged in, and itโ€™s a new unit, so presumably the battery isnโ€™t the issue.

Any suggestions how I can get the slide in?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
10 REPLIES 10

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Well, four 65+ year olds did manage to push it back in. Part of the time we had the good motor plugged in and running, and 3 people pushing on the other end.

I also used leveling blocks to un-level the trailer, slide side high. (still level front to back).

So, it is in and drivable. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
rPod 195
Tacoma V6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mbopp wrote:
You'll need to access the dead motor from the outside, loosen a set screw, and lift the motor up to be able to push the slide in if it's a Schwintec.

Yes, but Schwintec will manually push in or out once no power at the controller. It is easier, but you have to lift up BOTH motors. But if you lift the bad motor up, you can then go to override and the good motor will retract and you have to have someone pushing in the dead motor side. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
waynefi wrote:
OK, I tried the override button. The answer is that the back of the slide moved, but the front did not. This afternoon I will get some friends together and try pushing.

Instead of pulling the connectors on the controller, would unplugging from 110 and disconnecting the battery have the same effect?

This happened while Iโ€™m home. We planned to head out camping on Monday. If we can push the slide in, we may do some cramped camping (slide stays in) anyway. See what else foes wrong before taking it in for service. I was also worried about how to get it to the dealer for repair.

You would think so, but, Schwintek states that you must disconnect from the controller. I would try disconnecting the battery and the 120. I always just disconnect at the controller because it is quick and easy. This link is a video that will help you. Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI

Excellent Doug. Heres a second video on how the slide works and lubrication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQPIrVaSOlk
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to access the dead motor from the outside, loosen a set screw, and lift the motor up to be able to push the slide in if it's a Schwintec.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
waynefi wrote:
OK, I tried the override button. The answer is that the back of the slide moved, but the front did not. This afternoon I will get some friends together and try pushing.

Instead of pulling the connectors on the controller, would unplugging from 110 and disconnecting the battery have the same effect?

This happened while Iโ€™m home. We planned to head out camping on Monday. If we can push the slide in, we may do some cramped camping (slide stays in) anyway. See what else foes wrong before taking it in for service. I was also worried about how to get it to the dealer for repair.

You would think so, but, Schwintek states that you must disconnect from the controller. I would try disconnecting the battery and the 120. I always just disconnect at the controller because it is quick and easy. This link is a video that will help you. Doug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer

rPod 195
Tacoma V6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
waynefi wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion about pushing it. I saw the mode button, but I assumed that if the line is shorted, that wonโ€™t work. It is a smaller slide, so pushing it shouldnโ€™t be too hard.

Does the slide stay in well enough that it is safe to drive?

Once the room is retracted, reconnect the motor connects on the control module. THAT locks in the motors, but Schwintek's rarely will move. The force to retract will be the same force to cause extension in transit. So, the room will not move in transit. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are assuming the line is shorted.. Just because the controller says it is.

That might (or not) be the case.. Sometimes the controller says a problem exists when it does not.. There are about a hundred reasons (or more) this can happen including power surges. Lightening strikes (can be up to a mile away and still false it) and temporary issues that self-clear.. I have one (Other) device here that occasionally trips a fault sensor.. I bypass. it works. and restore the fault detector and it still works Problem passes. But that could be your problem too so try the reset.. Worst that happens is it does not work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion about pushing it. I saw the mode button, but I assumed that if the line is shorted, that wonโ€™t work. It is a smaller slide, so pushing it shouldnโ€™t be too hard.

Does the slide stay in well enough that it is safe to drive?
rPod 195
Tacoma V6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
How do you override a Schwintek slide?
Press the โ€œmode buttonโ€ six times quickly, then press a seventh time and hold for approximately five seconds (Fig. 1). C. The red and green LED lights will begin to flash, confirming the override mode.

The Mode button is inside that hole in the controller where the Red/Green LED lights are. Use a flashlight and you will see the small black button. Once you are in override, go inside and push to retract. Hopefully the room(both motors) will retract. This procedure removes the motor counters and just supplies 12 volt pos and neg to both motors. IF the POS and NEG wires are shorted or cut, then this procedure will not work. If this does NOT work, disconnect both Motor 1 and motor 2 quick connects on the controller. Then 3 or 4 people can then manually PUSH the room to retract. It will be hard but the room will move. Doug