cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban water heater (SW6D)

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday, after not being used for several months, the water heater in our camper started up as normal with a nice roaring blue flame but after 3 or 4 minutes and before the water reached temperature, the flame slowly started to die down and tuned yellow. The small yellow flame then gradually moved back through the burner tube to the gas orifice. Turning the inside power switch off and on just resulted in the same small yellow flame very close to the gas orifice (no visible flame at the electrode end of the burner tube).

The water heater power remained off overnight but today without me doing anything to it, the heater functioned normally when powered up (nice roaring blue flame) and it continued to work properly through several heating and cooling cycles.

There is 12 volts at the gas valve, no obstructions in the burner tube, the electrode is clean and the gap properly set at 1/8 inch. The propane tank is almost full and the stove, furnace and fridge work fine. The water heater is 15 years old and has been used for at least two months annually.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!
5 REPLIES 5

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I think you burned out the spider web.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The heater was the only gas device operating when it was yellow flaming and the next day it would throw a roaring blue flame even when the furnace and stove were also on. But the regulator is the original so time to change it out.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Bad regulator.

YEP^^^^^

LP Reg couldn't keep up with demand
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
never mind. I was going to say spider web in the burner tube, but you said no obstructions.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad regulator.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB