cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suge Protect 50A and Generator ?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to purchase a surge protector like the EMS-LCHW50C or other similar recommended unit. Should I wire it after the transfer switch to protect the 50A input and the generator (Onan 8KW diesel)? Or do it the easy way and just protect the 50A input? I know the plug in units just protect the input.

Thanx
13 REPLIES 13

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
After the transfer switch. Protect all of your valuable AC products in the RV. My first RV had a gen that failed and output 160v. Luckily, I had wired my PD after the transfer switch. Even then, it managed to fry the microwave before it tripped.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with installing between transfer switch and the breaker panel.
Protecting the transfer switch is overrated IMO. Easy swap if you carry a spare.
otoh there are posts about generators that produce bad voltage. You can't carry a spare everything else if the voltage regulator goes wonky.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Power systems before the transformer meaning line transmission and distribution have cutout relays to shunt lightning strikes to ground. A bad secondary strike can blow a transformer off a pole, turn park wiring incandescent, make a Hughes Autoformer, or "Energy Management System" look remarkably similar to a turkey baked in an oven 36 hours, and fry a lot of circuits downstream from that.

I tune an AM radio off-station. If I hear crackling getting louder the plug gets yanked.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I guess what we disagree on is the genset surging. We know a power surge at the pedestal can happen for a lot of reasons including lightning and storms. I see it as I have a 99% chance of a surge coming from the pedestal vs. a 1% chance of the surge coming from the genset.
Furthermore you guys are talking about the transfer switch possibly being damaged, what's stopping the surge from damaging the genset itself if the protection is after the transfer switch?
My rig spends 99% of its life connected to the pedestal and very little time on genset power. Genset surges are possible but extremely rare. Genset have there own circuitry to avoid surges.
Nevertheless we each can decide for ourselves. I'll place the protection where I believe the potential problem is and take my chances on a remote genset surge. Especially if that means exposing the genset to surges from the pedestal.

The generator is isolated from the post by the transfer switch so it would not be affected by a line problem. IMHO Gary

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I guess what we disagree on is the genset surging. We know a power surge at the pedestal can happen for a lot of reasons including lightning and storms. I see it as I have a 99% chance of a surge coming from the pedestal vs. a 1% chance of the surge coming from the genset.
Furthermore you guys are talking about the transfer switch possibly being damaged, what's stopping the surge from damaging the genset itself if the protection is after the transfer switch?
My rig spends 99% of its life connected to the pedestal and very little time on genset power. Genset surges are possible but extremely rare. Genset have there own circuitry to avoid surges.
Nevertheless we each can decide for ourselves. I'll place the protection where I believe the potential problem is and take my chances on a remote genset surge. Especially if that means exposing the genset to surges from the pedestal.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for all the info and opinions. That is why I asked the question.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lets see a transfer switch would cost about $200 to replace if it got fried. If generator spikes(fails anyway it can) you would fry anything electrical fin the RV. Just about anything electrical after the transfer switch is going to cost more than the transfer switch. Put the protector where you think it will be the most cost effective for you. JMHO Gary. You know where mine is. I would rather replace the transfer switch.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I agree the genset can fail. But honestly I consider the risk of the genset frying everything very slim vs. a surge coming form the pedestal.I want the protection as close the pedestal as possible.
Maybe I may fry my 50 amp cord if a large surge strikes However everything after the EMS 50 should be protected.
If surge is installed after the transfer switch than the transfer switch itself could fry along with more internal wiring if the pedestal produces the surge.
I'll take my chances with the genset and focus protection to issues coming from the pedestal.

So, let me summarize, risk losing everything on the rare occasion of a genset failure, or, risk losing the transfer switch on the occasion of a pedestal failure.

Is that a correct summarization?

The OP can take his choice of the above. That is why we say YMMV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree the genset can fail. But honestly I consider the risk of the genset frying everything very slim vs. a surge coming form the pedestal.I want the protection as close the pedestal as possible.
Maybe I may fry my 50 amp cord if a large surge strikes However everything after the EMS 50 should be protected.
If surge is installed after the transfer switch than the transfer switch itself could fry along with more internal wiring if the pedestal produces the surge.
I'll take my chances with the genset and focus protection to issues coming from the pedestal.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine after the transfer switch. As posted above the generator can fail. I would rather replace a burnt up transfer switch than the electronic after the transfer switch.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wire it between the transfer switch and the breaker box. Contrary to some opinions, generators, being man made objects, can and do fail. Protect from bad electricity from shore and generator.

There is upside but no downside to this arrangement.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
FREQUENCY

Most "miracle" power deciders, rely on 60hz. What happens to the "miracle" (never mind the gizmo), should it ever see say 45 hertz loaded as the generator spins-down due to a fault? I remember seeing my first "Todd Industries" 75 amp switched high frequency charger. My neighbor called me over one morning.

"I wanna show you a 75 amp charger than is one tenth the size of that 200+ amp monster you have under your dining room table"

"Tah-Dah!"

Cough-gag-sputter went his genset. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

"Say, can you come back over and give me a hand figuring out why the new charger won't charge. I got the generator running again OK, but no charge".

SMOKED

When you connect ANYTHING AT ALL to a standard generator, figure out if the load is frequency sensitive somehow. Some regulators now have cornering frequencies lower than 55 Hz. and a generator can fault and spin down leaving voltage available but frequency very low. I do not now if the miracle power gizmos were designed with this in mind. You should be able to get a straight answer from the gizmo manufacturer.

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
You should wire it at the input of the power cord, it has nothing to do with the generator.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly