cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for using "wasted" solar power?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions...

How would you use ~150-250w of power for 8-10hrs per day so it's not just "wasted"?

I've got multiple RVs (Class C) and they each have 500w of solar panels, and 200AH of lead batteries. Most of the time, especially in the off-season, they are just sitting in uncovered storage (getting plenty of sunlight year-round). While in storage, the solar is on and the batteries are easily maintained at 100% by the solar (my RV standby draw with everything "off" is only about 0.3amps). The output from the solar charge controller goes to my batteries and a 2000w PSW inverter (which is always off unless needed while camping as it draws ~2amps in standby when on). The solar charge controller also has terminals for a load (pos/neg) such that the solar charge controller could power something else (in addition to maintaining the coach batteries) while it is collecting sunlight.

In order to maintain the coach batteries at 100% it probably only uses ~20w worth of the 500w of solar. Of course we all know it is next to impossible to actually get 500w out of 500w worth of solar panels, especially in the off-season. But certainly my 500w worth of panels must be generating 200-350w worth of power during off-season sunlight hours (I live in CA so most days even in winter are sunny).

It got me to thinking the other day... It sure would be nice if that "extra" solar power (not battery power) could be actually DOING something instead of just holding the batteries fully charged WHILE IN STORAGE. There is a load terminal (pos/neg) coming off the solar charge controller and I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive 300w inverter to connect to it. My understanding is it would only have power when it is coming from the solar panels, and NOT getting power from the batteries. So it is a way to harvest/use this "extra" solar power from my panels for probably 8-10hrs per day. The question then becomes, "What to do with this power?"

The RVs are not stored near my home, so there is no way to use the power on my home.

A couple ideas that come to mind, but just not sure if they are needed/worthwhile...

- Power a circulating fan. This would move air around in the RV to hopefully keep things fresh and dry. Not sure it is needed though (I haven't had any problems with smells, mold).
- Power a humidifier. This might help to keep moisture down inside the RV. I haven't had a problem with this, but seems like it couldn't hurt.
- Power a couple Ultrasonic pest (mice/rat/squirrel) plug-in repellents. I haven't had an issue with mice/rats/squirrel, but prevention is always a good idea. I did have one mouse about 3 years ago. Thankfully, there are a few outdoor cats near where I store my RVs.

Any suggestions on how you would use ~150-250w of power for 8-10hrs per day so it's not just "wasted"? Thought some of you might have some creative ideas.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
27 REPLIES 27

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
May as well power up a security system to record and monitor activity around the RV.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
This is an expensive idea but might fit your uses. Buy a few so called solar batteries and swap them out to be used other places on a regular bases. I have 4kw of those batteries for use during short power outages at home. I just charge them from the wall but if I had a motor home with a bunch of solar sitting in the back yard I would store them there and swap them into the shop to use the power. My process now for longer power outages is to charge them with a generator so I don't have the generator running all the time. I have thought abut picking up some solar panels to recharge them but they are still on the maybe list.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I love the *idea* of ultrasonic pest repellents. As I have been thinking about how to use this wasted power, this might be on the top of my list (along with a fan). I could put two in each RV, they are inexpensive, and they draw very little power. But...Do they work???

Many many internet google reviews and youtube videos seem to indicate that such devices do not work (or help very little). But if I look to buy online, like here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFPM5BF7 I see 13,865 reviews/ratings and 93% of them (...almost 13,000 people) gave it 4 or 5 stars out of 5. Are there that many fake review bots on amazon to boost so many 4-5 star reviews?

I guess the bottom line might be...they are cheap enough and draw such little power so why not?

-Chris
San Jose, CA

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d say youโ€™re trying too hard to find a solution to nothing.
The libby EVers on this forum would tell you how you could sell it back to the utility company.
Just donโ€™t ask them to run the numbers as to whether itโ€™s feasibleโ€ฆ.lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never mind. My question was answered already.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
An ozone generator/air filter/fan can discourage pests (rodents, insects, etc.) and minimize mold from growing inside your MH. It will help reduce that musty smell that forms after several months of storage. It won't kill mold once formed, but, it will reduce the associated smell. Many smaller ozone units have well under 100 watt electrical load. People have reported that ozone can cause certain plastics like PVC, ABS, vinyl, etc., to become brittle and degrade prematurely. Delicate electronics can also be adversely effected. Read any warning labels before you decide.

Chum lee

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a dehumidifier. Its set up on a timer to only come on during the maximum solar time.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
One issue is if you isolate the consumption away from the batteries, you don't have 8-10hrs of power. Output will start at a very minimal output mid morning, peak somewhere around noon and then fall off as afternoon progresses.

So any use has to be able to handle a wide range of wattages. A cheap 12v fan would be doable but other than saying you used more of your solar generation, not sure what benefit it really would provide. A lot of small 12v fans use less than 1/2 amp, so probably simpler to just run it thru the battery bank.

If you had them at home or your own lot (with existing grid power for an office or something), you could probably set up a quick connect system to back feed into the grid (ie: net metering), similar to a residential solar system. Obviously, needs to be done to code but say 6 rigs at 500w would be equivalent to a 3000w solar array and would likely generate somewhere around 12-15kwh per day. Assuming $0.25/kwh California rates, that would reduce your electric bill by around $90-100/month. But if they are just in a storage yard, that probably won't work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

Hi Chris,

The circulating fan would equalize temperatures inside the RV. I think that might be of use.

I'm sure you meant a dehumidifier not a humidifier. Unfortunately dehumidifiers that actually work generally draw 1200 to 1500 watts. More than you have "spare".

The ultrasonic pest units draw milliamps. Less than you have "spare". It may also be the reason they are not effective.

Yes, I meant dehumidifier.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SJ-Chris wrote:
Looking for suggestions...

A couple ideas that come to mind, but just not sure if they are needed/worthwhile...

- Power a circulating fan. This would move air around in the RV to hopefully keep things fresh and dry. Not sure it is needed though (I haven't had any problems with smells, mold).
- Power a humidifier. This might help to keep moisture down inside the RV. I haven't had a problem with this, but seems like it couldn't hurt.
- Power a couple Ultrasonic pest (mice/rat/squirrel) plug-in repellents. I haven't had an issue with mice/rats/squirrel, but prevention is always a good idea. I did have one mouse about 3 years ago. Thankfully, there are a few outdoor cats near where I store my RVs.

Any suggestions on how you would use ~150-250w of power for 8-10hrs per day so it's not just "wasted"? Thought some of you might have some creative ideas.

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris,

The circulating fan would equalize temperatures inside the RV. I think that might be of use.

I'm sure you meant a dehumidifier not a humidifier. Unfortunately dehumidifiers that actually work generally draw 1200 to 1500 watts. More than you have "spare".

The ultrasonic pest units draw milliamps. Less than you have "spare". It may also be the reason they are not effective.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
I don't know why you want to add a 2nd inverter - just turn your existing one on but turn off any high draw items.

There are a few reasons....

As mentioned, this is for when the RVs are in STORAGE. The 2000w PSW inverter has a standby draw (...with NOTHING connected to it) of over 2 amps. That means 24+ amp hours per day that would be used by the 2000w inverter doing nothing, and the solar panels would need to put that back into the batteries each day. That's ~12% of the battery capacity and I wouldn't want the batteries discharging/charging back and forth EVERY day.

I don't want to use the BATTERIES. I want to use the excess solar capacity. The solar charge controller has a "Load" output/connection. This is separate from the output that goes to the coach batteries. My understanding is that this "Load" output will draw ONLY from the solar charge controller (power from the solar) and NOT from the batteries. So, when the sun is shining and there is excess power coming from the solar panels, then the extra 300w inverter will have power and whatever is plugged in will have power. Then, when the sun goes down the 300w inverter will power off. It is this power I am trying to take advantage of.

-Chris
San Jose, CA

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I powered an indoor garden set up on a dining room table. Cherry tomatoes, radishes and dill. I use a power supply 50 watt UV LED chip.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Cheap 300 watt inverters likely have an output of modified sine wave. And that might not power a fan. Not sure, but I think cheap fans have pure inductance motors that won't work with modified sine waves.
A different application since we live in our RV full time. But I sometimes turn on the electric side of the water heater when we boondock and the solar has fully charged the batteries - just to use some of that "wasted" solar power. I have tried to think of ways to use excess solar energy and I have mostly come up blank.
BTW, I like the idea of plug in pest controls. Also, I don't know why you want to add a 2nd inverter - just turn your existing one on but turn off any high draw items.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah