cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tail shaft bushing replacement

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Ford E350,v10 with a 5spd Torqueshift transmission that needs the tailshaft or extension housing bushing replaced. Anyone know how? I've done them on GM vehicles but not sure about this Ford.
7 REPLIES 7

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201:

Thanks a lot for your help. With the info you provided I ordered a bushing remover/installer from 4TransTool Co.and it should arrive in 4 days. I also found a replacement bushing that is from a company that manufactures them locally. Ford does not offer the bushing separately only the complete tailshaft. I'm very grateful for your help and hope to wind this project up soon.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
agesilaus:

I've researched the various you tube videos and could not find anything specific enough for my application. Thanks for the suggestion.

RLS7201:

Do you have the manufacturer's name for the tool you're referring to? I might just go out and buy one. One Ford dealer said they wouldn't mess around with changing the bushing and would just change the whole transmission. Yeah right!

As it turns out, Ford doesn't sell just the bushing as a replacement part. They will only sell you the whole extension housing for around $350. Talk about ripping the public off!

What I have is a set of very old Snap On pullers.

Another option for removing the bushing is, remove the extension housing and use any thing that will push the bushing out with out damaging the housing. Then press the new bushing in. The edge of the new bushing may get burred. Just take a pocket knife and clean up the burr. OR..........take the extension housing and bushing to a transmission shop.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not really a 'ripoff'. At $100+/hr for shop time the repair becomes too expensive to justify and few diy'ers have the tools or skills to do it.

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a transmission shop and ask them what they charge to do it. Should only take an hour to do it. The bushing tool would cost more than what the dealer would charge for the tail shaft assy.
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus:

I've researched the various you tube videos and could not find anything specific enough for my application. Thanks for the suggestion.

RLS7201:

Do you have the manufacturer's name for the tool you're referring to? I might just go out and buy one. One Ford dealer said they wouldn't mess around with changing the bushing and would just change the whole transmission. Yeah right!

As it turns out, Ford doesn't sell just the bushing as a replacement part. They will only sell you the whole extension housing for around $350. Talk about ripping the public off!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
There are expandable pullers that slide inside the bushing and then use a puller bolt on the end of the transmission shaft, to remove the bushing. Then you use a properly sized driver to install the new bushing. You might be able to rent/barrow said tools from an automotive parts house. If you was in the KC metro area, you could borrow mine.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may find what you need here: YT
YouTube has videos for almost any auto repair and for a heck of a lot other subjects too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper