cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tapping off of the 3/8 Propane Line

datedd1
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a residential refrigerator and capped off the existing 3/8" propane line that once ran to the Dometic. I would like to exploit that line by using it as a propane source for my gas grill so that I don't have to carry canisters or run a long hose underneath the coach from the TEE on the propane tank. I am having a hard time figuring out the fitting and hose combination to tap off that line. (pictured)

Once again, it's the 3/8" female flare with a 3/8" male flare cap on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Should work. We used to supply a 40,000 btu space heater off 3/8โ€ copper tubing.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Dwpends on the stove / grill/ griddle. This is a common topic on the pop up boards, less inside area to cook with. Dosen't help that most dont know high from low pressure set ups. And that quick connects are not for high pressure conections, they can work but are not legal. I couldent get a line made for my high pressure conection, even from a place that custom made lines. And the diffrent connections. I hated low pressure stuff. I carry a separate 20 lb tank and hook up to that. Most of my propane is burned for cooking anyway. Easier.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
First things first...

Immediately after a "T" tap comes an LPG rated shut off **** valve. Then fittings for an LPG rated hose. There are quick connect low pressure disconnect fittings
So you van swivel the valve shut the quick disconnect and roll up the hose.

red31
Explorer
Explorer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
We need to see what they have for a grill/stove, some have the regulator built into the unit and can not be removed. Others can be adapted.

I've never found one that couldn't be removed ๐Ÿ™‚

For my camp stove, I set up two different hoses, both on quick disconnects. One is for 20lb tanks, the other is for pressure reduced trailer propane.

Little POS grill, took a bit more work, as it was designed to work with 1lb propane canisters... but it's also now plumbed with quick disconnects for trailer.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
We need to see what they have for a grill/stove, some have the regulator built into the unit and can not be removed. Others can be adapted.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
That propane line will work but it is after the regalator so you will need to remove the regulator from the BBQ.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Most external ports for propane are after the regulator. Whatever you hook to can not have an additional regulator.

Any hardware store will have what you need to extend the line. You may have to order a quick coupler to suit your grill.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure on the conection, but if the line is low pressure it may not work well depending on you stove/grill hook ups. If you ran it off of a propane tank then you need high pressure, or un regulated LP gas flow. I think the fridge is low pressure lp gas flow, so you will be double regulating the appliance.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.