cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator coil

mariot53
Explorer
Explorer
So, this morning I decided to clean the covers on my fridge compressor. The coil is above the compressor, and a piece of plywood is in front of it seemingly preventing airflow. It appears to be factory installed. Does this sound like SOP? Would love to send a pic, but donโ€™t know how to. TIA
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Leave the baffle alone. Be glad your maker did a good job.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
That board is called a Baffle. It is there to FORCE the air THRU the Condenser fins. Without that board the air would just go around the fins.
1. There is NO compressor
2. That Coil is called the Condenser
Last, your RV maker did a correct install for your refer. A LOT of OEM's do not install that Baffle. Doug

mariot53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The board is probably an inch from the the coil. The fridge is cooking fine. I was checking because the afternoon sun beats on that side of the camper, and I donโ€™t want any possible air flow restricted. Meanwhile, Iโ€™m trying to figure out a shade for the covers. Thanks.

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are threads on how to post pics. There is a forum thread specific to "how to post" on the main forum page. Lots of info there. In short, you have to post a pic to a picture hosting web site, and link to that pic when you post a pic here. Complicated at first, but is super easy.

Is the board touching the "coils" or the radiator looking thing? There is not a lot of airflow needed so if the board is a few inches away, maybe even as close as 1-2 inches, then it still might work fine.
Does the fridge cool?
The air moving away from the coils will need more space than the air coming in.
Is there a fan?