cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

They say 10 amps maximum, but....

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
But what if it Could do 480 watts at 14.7vDC? Perhaps all it needs it the required ventilation.

Who will be the guinea pig?
DROK Adjustable DC Power Voltage Converter AC 110V-220V to DC 0-48V Module Switching Power Supply

Notice the nice easy to access potentiometer and voltmeter.
19 REPLIES 19

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Monster rectifiers, upgraded bi-polars and Panasonic capacitors and the Mega is quite the machine. Oh yeah a 2nd fan sucking air in.

With the snap-off plates of Chips Cree sent to me the CheapOwatts are going to see 24/7 stick and brick lighting duty. 1.6 watts idle current. I am shooting for 200 watt hours per day for lighting hotel load. That's fairly thrifty. The CREEs are 8 watts and out lumen a GE 26 watt CFL.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Send me your "dead" Megawatts please

LOL, only one, from CO, that I am aware of. Mine has been doing a lot of powering my 100w 20 amp sucking ham radio as of late. No issues, so far. Ran it every morning at 14.4V for an hour an half to stir the juices up in the surplus 150 ah Telecom Deka. Must have worked, I saw the Deka up to 12.92V after off the charger for 24 hours. Usually it's 12.88 to 12.89. Could be temperature related too. For my usage, that Telecom DEKA is perfect. The ham radio will suck 4 to 5 Ah per hour in the evening and night on 40m at , on average. There goes 16 to 20 amps. Perfect companion, the Mega Watt, in the travel trailer.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Send me your "dead" Megawatts please

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The BORG has been cranking for 2 years. The Gigawatt just got through charging a pair of utterly depleted 8-D's in 5 hours. 12 cells bubbling upon disconnect.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I was a guinea pig for the mega watt. Mean well does it without smoke. More money but worth it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Rather get that 10-amp 30-volt power supply.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Spending other people's money.......

Priceless.

Especially when they will tinker, experiment and have the tools knowledge interest and ability.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If they are built like the Megawatt no weak bi-polar transistors. MOSFET finals. I dumped the Gigawatt into a 10 volt load. 64 amperes. It has 160 amperes of schottky rectifiers.

From

eBray...

"Size Name:DC 0-48V 10A Parameters: Input voltage: AC 110-220V ยฑ 15% Output: DC 0-48V 10A Rated power: 480W Product Dimension: 21511550mm (lengthwidthheight) Wiring: ?: Ground N: Null wire L: Live wire V+: DC output + V-: DC output - Instructions for use: The current is unregulated and max. is 10A. The actual current is decided by load. Any devices below 10A current can use this product. Any devices above 10A current cannot use this product. Note: If use motor, fan and other inductive load, please pay attention to the loadโ€™s maximum starting current parameter. This parameter shall not be higher than the power supplyโ€™s max. current. Otherwise it may damage the power supply. Or allocate the soft starting protection circuit for the load to absorb the impact current."

Let's see what DROK doesn't say...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello There Landyacht!!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will do this the stupid way, and...

Service@droking.com

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Which is why we need a guinea pig to test the thing and push it to its limits, as all we have otherwise, is assumptions.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ASSume that 480w is with 10a and 48v. You see solar controllers that have an amps limit but they have different watt limits at different voltages. I ASSume this gizmo is 120w at 12v. ?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, my Etopxizu 30 amp cheapowatt would do 38 amps, and in the same size packaging. Granted it made a buzzing above 36.2 amps and had no self protections built in, requiring constant coltage pot twiddling, but still.

If I was more flush and did not already have the Meanwell rsp-500-15's 40 amps, I would order and push this thing with a depleted battery to see what it could do.

If it could do 480 watts at 14.7v, I would be seeking to add more heatsinking and ventilation.

I love how they added the potentiometer, and that little connector right under it means that swapping to a higher quality 10 turn pot should be a cakewalk.

So whose flush and in an experimental mood?

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
It could also crowbar and just shut off.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI