cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The pleasures of owning an RV

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks ago while replacing a wheel seal I noticed that the power piston dust boots on my Kodiak disc brakes were cracked and rotten.

I ordered four new boots. The new ones were made of silicone which should be much more durable. Fortunately you can order just the boots.

Lifted the rig with the trusty Lippert level-up (eazy-peazy). When I was tightening the lugs on the last tire there was a loud pop and the axles shifted.

I thought my level-up had blown a gasket but upon further investigation I discovered that on one of the axles the shackles had flipped upside down because the equa-flex system.

The next hour I spent trying to get the shackles back like the picture I had in my mind. Up down push pull it just wouldn't go back like I thought it should be which was wrong. Finally looked at the system on internet to find out I was trying to put it back wrong.

Finally got everything back in place. Only took a few hours longer than I intended and I am so sore from getting up and down I can hardly walk.

Getting old is not for sissies.

All of this to say if you have Kodiak disc brakes you need to look them over. I have seen on the Mobile Suites owners forum that the calipers have actually come off of the rotors in some cases.

1. Check the calipers for tightness. Proper torque is 45 ft. lbs. Three of the four on mine were much less but not loose.

2. Clean and lube the slide points occasionally on the calipers.

3. When you have it apart check the boots. Although it might take a long time for a failure because of the boots I prefer to have them without holes.

4. Check all of the lines to make sure they are not rubbing anything. My lines came through the frame without any type of protection. I took some rubber tubing just larger than the brake line, split it and put it around the line where it penetrates the frame.

OK I'm done. Be safe out there. Hope this helps someone else that needs something to do in their spare time.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition
6 REPLIES 6

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Only an idiot would put them under the axles. Excuse me, under the spring perch. Speaking of idiots "
Although most people including myself does not follow this advise either".
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
byronlj wrote:
12th man,
If you read your level up manual it specifically says not to use the system to lift the vehicle off the ground for servicing. Liability issue I am sure. It also says you should have jack stands under the axles. I learned a long time ago when flipping my friends axles not to let them hang. I had the same problem you did.
Dave

Yes I read the manual but if you think I am going to use jacks or other devices when I have a 3 or four thousand dollar lift system you are mistaken. I only had the tires off the ground about an inch and I had blocks under the hydraulic cylinders where they were only extended about four inches and I only had one tire at a time off the vehicle.

Also I think you are mistaken about jack stands under the axles. Dexter does not want any support or lifting done with the axles. The frame maybe but not the axles.

Although most people including myself does not follow this advise either.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent Tech Tip IMHO thank you

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
12th man,
If you read your level up manual it specifically says not to use the system to lift the vehicle off the ground for servicing. Liability issue I am sure. It also says you should have jack stands under the axles. I learned a long time ago when flipping my friends axles not to let them hang. I had the same problem you did.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I put the jack under the unloaded leaf when it got out of shape.
+1 for being sore after a four wheel disk conversion ๐Ÿ˜‰

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
"Getting old is not for sissies."

Well, you did twist the whole axel with a lug wrench.
Joe and Evelyn