cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking Of Buying China Solar Panels?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It is not inconceivable that competition and low ball pricing may come to a screeching halt...........soon

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26464901
9 REPLIES 9

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob_nestor wrote:
Looks like good old capitalistic competition and the sheer number of manufacturers will continue to drive prices down.

With China it's not really good, old or even capitalistic. A lot of government control and manipulation.

Besides, shipping costs are rising. Amazon have recently raised minimum order for free shipping from $25 to $35.
Shipping costs are rising everywhere due to rising fuel costs which is in turn caused by growing Chinese economy. So let's support them to the end (both ours and theirs). With that much population and that little care of environment in China it shouldn't take long.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I think you got a deal, bob_nestor. I'm seeing the 120 watts for $220 but the shipping is another $150.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Yeah, but if you search for solar panels on www.aliexpress.com it looks like every other rice paddy farmer in China is building them. Some still offer free shipping to the US, although most seem to have lowered their costs per panel and now price shipping separately. Looks like good old capitalistic competition and the sheer number of manufacturers will continue to drive prices down.

I just picked up a portable 120W folding panel with controller for $220 with free Fed-Ex shipping that arrived in less than a week.

I picked up a 120w folding panel at Solar BLVD for $190, in person. No worries about it getting broken in shipment. Totally worth the 70 mile drive one way down to Corona, CA.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, but if you search for solar panels on www.aliexpress.com it looks like every other rice paddy farmer in China is building them. Some still offer free shipping to the US, although most seem to have lowered their costs per panel and now price shipping separately. Looks like good old capitalistic competition and the sheer number of manufacturers will continue to drive prices down.

I just picked up a portable 120W folding panel with controller for $220 with free Fed-Ex shipping that arrived in less than a week.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I think this will unfold the same for many industries in China.
It is a natural progression.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Got a link for actual MADE in USA panels that cost only 10% more than imports?

Actual made in usa stuff, not assembled in the usa or designed in usa or other word games.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang, we have to start buying much more Chinese stuff before they end up with an economy in shambles like ours! Pay for US built stuff when it costs 10% more? Heck no, I won't go! We have to support the Chinese and their economy so they are able to continue to buy up all the US bonds, shopping malls and Manhattan high rise buildings. I fear this is the end..........OK, maybe not.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
It is not inconceivable that competition and low ball pricing may come to a screeching halt...........soon

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26464901
Doh!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
A local guy who was a dealer for a Chinese solar company up to last year got a shock when they told him the rules had changed.

He was used to getting his panels sent to him for free and then selling them. The new rule imposed by Chinese bankers last year is that he now has to buy the panels first, then sell them.

So when he sold his last panel last year he didn't have enough capital to buy a bunch of new panels to sell, so he has had to go into some sort of stand-by mode until he gets enough money together to get back in the game.

Moral of the story is that this all started last year.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.