cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to fix the delamination

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Basically I bought our winny with a broken rear corner cap and it had some delam. Dealer put a patch on it. Basically price was right and we've done a good bit of camping. As a matter of fact I'm sitting by pool in a Cincy area campground. Anyways with a few weeks until our next outing I'm looking at doing the work. I've found Winnebago parts place for new end cap. I'm just wondering what your suggestions on sealants and glue would be? I'll need sealants for windows if I have to take them out, sealants for corner and end cap and glue to bond exterior to new wood.
9 REPLIES 9

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Well day 1 started with painting the new cap and taking corners off. I pulled the lower trim off and am able to pull the filon panels away a bit and swept up what's left of the plywood. I think my worry right now is getting the passenger side top cap off without breaking. The drivers side is already broke so I don't care.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Delam is usually accompanied by the wall swelling out. You'll need to be ready, after filling with a sealent, to be able to compress both side very tightly until the sealant/Filler material is well cured.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I will. Not sure how to post the pics but I will figure it out. Also I did order the end cap from Winnebago parts as dealer was even higher to ship. Apparently the piece needs a box built around it and sent by common carrier. Fair enough I guess I'm just lucky they still have parts.

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you take some pictures and document your repair work, I know a lot of people, like me, enjoy learning from others

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Well so far I put in an order for 1 gallon of resin from us composites. I called Winnebago parts to order a new drivers rear cap that was cracked and I was happy with the price of 150$. However they told me 120$ to ship YIkes!!!!!! I'm guessing the piece is 5 feet long and weighs a few pounds. Called local winne dealer to see what kind of price I can get. Wherever I buy the part I'm also buying self leveling nuco 311. Some butyl tape is on the shopping list.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
if you go to http://winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information and put in your year and model, you will find a "sealant callout sheet" that tells what Winnebago recommends. They tend to use a lot of urethane sealants.
-- Chris Bryant

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Not afraid of the work just wanna do it so it lasts.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butyl tape, about 15 dollars a roll, tubes of Dicor, stainless steel screws. Fixing the water damage, lots of work.