cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coleman 13.5 fan not running

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
My 13.5 rooftop air fan wasn't running. I reached up and gave the fan a spin, it started running fine. How do I fix this? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is SOOO GOOOOD! Capacitor replacement is easy and inexpensive. We've had a lot of capacitor failures at home and I keep spares for Compressor and Fan. We've needed them. Came home from a trip to a hot house, twice. Both cases were Capacitor. For RV, I carry spares too, plus a Start Kit. Home unit doesn't use one.

There are VERY good capacitor prices on Amazon. Start kits are a little more expensive, particularly electronic "smart" ones like SUPCO SPP6e. In our hot FL weather, A/C failure is a trip ender.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
run capacitor most likely.....make sure you get the correct one to replace it.
Bingo. Replaced, working fine.

DPGBG
Explorer
Explorer
Mine, although about 20 years old started to squeal. I oiled it and it stopped for a day. But then it locked up all together. Bought one off internet, came with new run capacitor. Bolted right up. Bout 1/2 hour job. Not hard just a lot of screws and working on the roof that makes it a little tough. Think I paid 140 with shipping.

My old one felt like it was ok when sinning the fan, however after spinning the new one, I could then feel the difference.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The hard start cap is for the compressor, not the fan.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
run capacitor most likely.....make sure you get the correct one to replace it.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
It spun real easy. Can I just buy one of those hard start caps on amazon?

SUPCO HS6 (SPP6)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You gave it a Spin...

Did it spin freely or did it seem like you got it "unstuck?"

If it moves freely takes what I'll call a fast spin to pick up and run, then good chance it's a run capacitor. Probably 7.5-MFD at 370 or 440 VAC.

If it felt sticky, you may be able to oil the bearings with Turbine Oil. The bearing on the fan end of the motor will probably be the sticky one. I had this happen, sticky bearing on fan end of shaft. Even taking the motor apart and crocus clothing the bearing, it'd stick again. Ended up with a new motor, about $100 on Amazon.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
This is at least 7 years old.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm afraid it'll only get worse until it locks up for good. Is it under warranty yet? IIRR my Dometic had a 2 or 3-year warranty.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Loose wire or start capacitor.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...