cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Valve Stem Cracking

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT is just under 2 years old. It's been sitting for almost a year, and I moved it from storage near our B&M to our new residence. Turned on TPMS, and I'm showing 50 PSI 😞 Got out my new Rigid air pump, and filled the tires...

Looking at the valve stems and they are cracked all over the stem. These are the cheap China Bombs that too many have reported "suddenly" blow, causing a lot of damage.

Even tho we will probably only have this TT for another year, I'm biting the bullet and putting on Goodyear tires tomorrow and adding a metal valve stem. We still have a trip planned to FL over Christmas.
20 REPLIES 20

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a tire failure this last summer (1 yr old GY tires), after looking at the result I noticed the valve stem was gone. I have seen a lot of tire failures in my time (mine and others) and this is the first where the rubber stem was missing. End result, when I replaced the blown tire, the other 4 (included spare) got metal stems.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you're running external TPMS sensors metal stems are required.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Metal valve stems are definitely the way to go with your Good Year tires. "China Bombs" do unbelievable damage when they blow to the wheel well as well as the RV interior around the wheel well area.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
American made valves stems never fail?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, good quality rubber, not. On a trailer that we had, after about 2 or 3 years, during the winter. I saw that one tire was flat and another very soft. The soft tire and the always covered spare had very bad cracks in the rubber valve stems. The flat tire, the stem had actually broken off. I'm glad it happened in my driveway and not on the highway.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Metal stems are a good move. I don't know how many times I had to have a leaky valve stem replaced (and it's always during a trip) before switching to metal stems. And the cost of a good tire is cheap compared to the collateral damage caused by a blowout.