Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toilet

kardar2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I have a 1988 Automate 5th. And this will be my first repair job on a toilet. I have to pull out the toilet cause it is leaking. I am going to rip out the carpet and put tile or anulium down. My question:will there be a big gap or void do rock the thickness of carpet if I don't use tile. I am guessing it is just like A house toilet and Would have a gap but not sure cause of the plastic housing. Thanks for the help.
10 REPLIES 10

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I can't believe any mfg would make a solid connection tween the wax flange, and the tank. My flange has a 6" long pipe glued into it, then pushes thru a rubber tank bushing, then screwed to the floor. Any changes made to floor or carpet, the pipe simply moves up/dwn inside the bushing.
WhenI got my MH, the turlet and flange was mounted on top of thick carpet and pad,.....wobbled around like a fish outta water. I marking pencil'd a line all around the turlet base, removed the turlet and flange, cut out the carpet, then screwed everything down to the solid floor,.......no more wobble !! The pipe in the rubber bushing was a godsend. And the dealer says those "pipe in bushing" never leak.

Trust me, mine is cemented to the top of the black tank and screwed down through the carpet. When you hack out the carpet and padding there is a significant gap to fill so you don't break the neck off the tank by supporting the toilet by the flange. And it's not a wax ring. The toilet does not seal to the floor like at home. It sits on the flange and there's a rubber seal on the toilet itself to seal it.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

kardar2
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I can't believe any mfg would make a solid connection tween the wax flange, and the tank. My flange has a 6" long pipe glued into it, then pushes thru a rubber tank bushing, then screwed to the floor. Any changes made to floor or carpet, the pipe simply moves up/dwn inside the bushing.
WhenI got my MH, the turlet and flange was mounted on top of thick carpet and pad,.....wobbled around like a fish outta water. I marking pencil'd a line all around the turlet base, removed the turlet and flange, cut out the carpet, then screwed everything down to the solid floor,.......no more wobble !! The pipe in the rubber bushing was a godsend. And the dealer says those "pipe in bushing" never leak.

I hope mine is made this way but I will find out when I tear into it. Thanks for all the great advise.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
When I did mine I had to replace the wood too.

I'd like to meet the guy who came up with the bright idea of carpeting that riser.. He needs a good hanging.

Any chance it was your motorhome's manufacturer? :h

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I'd like to meet the guy who came up with the bright idea of carpeting that riser.. He needs a good hanging.

Agreed. I get that it's more efficient to carpet everything from a build perspective, but carpet has NO business anywhere you do your business.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many videos and "how to" instructions on GOOGLE for this subject. Good reading and watching as they are different than house type toilets.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take a crack at that.

In my '84 MH, the toilet flange is screwed down through the carpet and then through the floor. This is a totally icky arrangement if/when it leaks.

I removed the toilet and hacked the carpet out from underneath the flange. I then installed 1/4" plywood in the whole bathroom, cutting the pieces out to fit under the flange. The tile I used (1'squares, linoleum I assume) filled the rest of the gap under the flange. I installed the new toilet with no issues. It's important to make sure that you close that gap otherwise when you install the toilet you'll be putting a lot of pressure on that flange and therefore the black water tank.

ALTERNATIVELY, some flanges are threaded on. You may be able to wind it down some more or replace it with a new one that will fit flush with the new floor. My flange was glued onto the top of the tank so I had to fill the gap with underlayment and tile before reinstalling the toilet.

My new toilet's fresh water valve sprung a leak and ruined my new floor, so I'll be doing this again in the Spring. Good times.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a new floor gasket for your model (don't use a wax seal). There should be no problem, with a new gasket you will have a bit of leeway,. A hard surface is better than carpet.
Most Thetford repair kits include a new floor seal, for Sealand you must buy it separately .
-- Chris Bryant

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
OK, your question is completely lost in mis-spellings and typos.
Please take the time to read what you've sent before you hit the Post button.

Would you try again, and maybe someone will know what you need....