cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission rebuild

NoMoApt
Explorer
Explorer
reverse provides almost no power to the wheels in this winnebago Chalet. I have added fluid to make sure that is not the problem. Forward gears are all strong.
I am guessing this indicates a rebuild?
How much should I expect to pay for this in CA. Its a chevy based 2000 model year.
I assume the trans can be dropped out without removing the engine but this means putting the rig on a lift?
The motor burns oil and shoudl really be rebuilt also but the rig is not worth that much.
Looking for simple solutions...
19 REPLIES 19

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP you say it burns oil, how many miles between having to add oil.
Noy uncommon for Chev big blocks to us a quart every thousind miles.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NoMoApt wrote:
The motor burns oil and shoudl really be rebuilt also but the rig is not worth that much.
No, it wouldn't be worth much with those problems. I think it's time for a funeral.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A seventeen year old transmission with say 80,000+ miles and pronounced problems is like a 109 year old human. Protein powder, may be overly optimistic.

After being in the business a limited but extremely education rich time (cutthroat competition) I came to a conclusion that still stands today...

An automaker brand rebuilt transmission is almost impossible to meet never mind surpass in quality and dependable performance.

GM for instance was using all new valve bodies on its THM 400 units, new heat treated clutch drums, reaction shaft, and a larger boss on it's pump casting. No way could I access this stuff aftermarket.

What is today's program? Mr. Goodwrench? The transmissions cannot compete price-wise with scumbag rebuilder craft but then I could not produce a me-too twenty nine dollar lifetime guaranteed alternator. Not and keep my sense of dignity and ethics intact.

GM uses molded plastic shipping boxes to handle their transmissions.

But the transmission cooler(s) and lines must be flushed out.

I would use the largest aftermarket cooler and follow the maker's instructions for mounting.

There used to be a kit called a Transgo-Tow-And-Go valve body modification that seemed to improve the lifespan of heavily loaded automatics but in the age of computer ECU's I sure would check a valve body kit for compatibility and wait until the factory warranty has run out before installing it.

Good luck and if you do your own work, stay safe.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The Chev 4L80 will cost about $3000 to rebuild.
It could be debris in the valve body that causes issue.
When was the last time it was serviced? I do not mean just a flush job type, but one that removes the pan and replaces the filter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you do a Google or Youtube search for your problem?
Do you know the make/model of the transmission? Hopefully you can find some useful information and avoid a total rebuild.