cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to identify a Breaker in my electric panel...

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I have a '91 airstream and on the lower breaker position is a GFI, ground fault breaker.

So the identifying marks on the actual breaker are:

Type Q0 60/75 deg CWIRE
1 Pole Class A 120vac
Square D AL/CU #8-#14

Interrupting rating 10,000 amps

Max. RMS sym. 120 vac

series 2

So its a Square D...
I went on the internet and did a bunch of searching, and, I found a breaker part number that might be it. But Im not sure. The first part number in the list seems to be a base part number and the ones after that seem to be breakers with special options. I have no idea what the options mean.

Partno. QO120GFI
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 10kA - Plug-in - GFI

Partno. QO120GFI35
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 10kA - Plug-in - GFI - 50Deg

Partno. QO120GFIBCP
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 10kA - Plug-in - GFI - CP

Partno. QO120GFICP
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 10kA - Plug-in - GFI - CP

Partno. QO120GFISP
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 10kA - Plug-in - GFI

Partno. QO120VHGFI
Mini CB - QO - 20A - 1P - 120V - 22kA - Plug-in - GFI
24 REPLIES 24

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
If I replace a good extension cord, and the problem persists elsewhere....

In that case you will have two good extension cords.

Since an extra extension cord is generally more useful than an extra breaker, I would start with replacing the cord.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, If I replace a good breaker and the problem persists elsewhere, the breaker will continue to trip.

Also, If I replace a good extension cord, and the problem persists elsewhere....

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
The issue is this...lol

When I connect my christmas lights up through a very old extension cord to my outside sockets, and if it rains, the breaker being discussed trips quite a bit

This explains your problem nicely. The GFCI is DESIGNED to trip if there is any current leakage. The old lights or extension cord, when wet, has some current leakage, ergo, the GFCI trips. It is supposed to trip. It is doing its job. A replacement will do exactly the same thing.

Ditto.

The new ends that have been installed aren't weather proof, and if they contonually get wet, that's a problem.

First thing I'd do is replace the inferior / aging cords.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a GFCI trips, the first suspect should always be a leakage to ground somewhere.

*If* you were to replace the breaker, all you'd need to know is that it's a Square D "QO" type. Easiest thing to do is just take them into a HD or Lowes and get them to match it up.

You don't often see a GFCI breaker in a panel. They cost quite a bit more than than a GFCI receptacle. If you were thinking of replacing the GFCI breaker, you could always install a GFCI receptacle instead, if you can determine which receptacle is first in line on a circuit (may not be easy). The old breaker could be left in place because two GFCIs in series are not a problem.

What I've always found annoying is the so-called weatherproof cover plates. Once you flip the lid open and plug something in, it's possible for water to get in. They do have cover plates now that cover the plug as well but are bulky and might look odd on the side of an RV.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of Christmas lights even though they may be rated as Indoor/outdoor may not be weather proof enough for full on outdoor exposure to direct rain or high humidity.

Many of these Christmas lights will have a micro fuse holder built into the plug, this type of plug MUST be protected from direct rain, otherwise the rain will make its way into the fuse holder and cause enough leakage to trip a GFIC.

Additionally the bulb sockets for LEDs may not be weatherproof, try to point the bulb down so the sockets do not gather water..

With LED strings there is also an resistor built into the plug or a separate bump on the string which may also be an additional point of leakage if it is not fully weatherproofed.

Newer GFICs are considerably more sensitive than older ones, I believe the NEC changes the trip specs to make them more sensitive a few yrs ago. Not a bad thing but can cause occasional false trips.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, on the diesel heater, I have a an outdoor timer. This I have mounted to wood and put a plastic tub over the sensitive parts. We are going through several days of rain right now, so its a good time to run tests. I have unplugged the Christmas lights.

No breaker tripping so far.

I am suspecting the Chinese Christmas lights. Lots and lots of little connections.

Both of the extension cords are connected to the outlet.

Outlets are well caulked and fairly well sheltered from rain.

The Christmas lights are new.
3 of the four extension cord ends are new.

It only takes a slight bit of current imbalance on these GFI circuits to trip them.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, something besides the Christmas decorations is going to get lit up here.

If the above suggestions do not help, you might want to replace that outside outlet with a weather resistant type, if it is not already.

Weather Resistant Outlet
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
The issue is this...lol

When I connect my christmas lights up through a very old extension cord to my outside sockets, and if it rains, the breaker being discussed trips quite a bit

This explains your problem nicely. The GFCI is DESIGNED to trip if there is any current leakage. The old lights or extension cord, when wet, has some current leakage, ergo, the GFCI trips. It is supposed to trip. It is doing its job. A replacement will do exactly the same thing.

We have a winner!

Your GFCI Breaker IS SAVING YOUR LIFE and is functioning as it should.

Groundhoggy, you stated you are using an OLD EXTENSION CORD AND OLD LIGHTS.

Good chance that either the extension cord and/or the old lights may have enough electrical leakage (especially when wet, damp or in dew) to trigger the GFCI.

Try a new extension cord, if that does not fix then try new lights with new extension cord.

Other things to try, if you have ANY electrical connections (IE plugs) exposed to the weather, try wrapping some plastic around the connection to help shed moisture. Also try putting the connection if laying on the ground on a block of wood and COVER that connection with a bucket.

This is not a place to ignore the GFCI, it IS telling you to fix the problem with the wiring (IE lights and cord)..

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
The issue is this...lol

When I connect my christmas lights up through a very old extension cord to my outside sockets, and if it rains, the breaker being discussed trips quite a bit...

It is trying to save your life, and the lives of your family and maybe neighbors.

Fix the problem.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Spridle
Explorer
Explorer
While it could be the extension cord, there is a very good chance its the lack of a good cover at the receptacle.
Vertical cover link

There is both a vertical and horizontal cover in the listing. They are designed to keep water off of your receptacle. They are required for continuous use, however they protrude causing a new problem.

there is a low profile cover but may not be deep enough for your cord?
Taymac MX4280WH

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I think you've figured that you're just seeing the breaker operating properly and tripping when there's a ground fault (through the damp old wires or damp connections).

The solution, of course, is to use more weatherproof wires and connections.

Or it could be the lights that are causing the GFCI to trip when they are damp/wet.

Dusty

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility for the ground fault is the outlet itself. Water running down the side of the RV may be entering the outlet box and causing the fault. That does happen often in residences as well as RVs.

My opinion is, buy some good extension cords and disconnect power to the rig and check inside the outlet box for signs of water.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
groundhogy wrote:
The issue is this...lol

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you've figured that you're just seeing the breaker operating properly and tripping when there's a ground fault (through the damp old wires or damp connections).

The solution, of course, is to use more weatherproof wires and connections.