cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultra Sound wireless LP tank sensor , Bluetooth to phone app

MrWizard
https://mopeka.com/

Came across an ad for this on YouTube tonight, while looking at some other RV topic video, use Android phone or tablet for gauge display, can be set for auto alert low level

Looks promising, does anybody have any real world knowledge

The tank on my Bounder the gauge is Wonky (scientific term) reads 1/4 tank low, max full can't hold no more, will read 3/4 full
Gauge at 1/4 is really 1/2, needle on at empty line, really somewhere between 1/4 and empty, but No-way to know if that is 1 gallons or 4 gal, dead empty to max full and out the liquid bleeder takes 18.8 gal
I have to check it everyday, so I can judge my use rate of the first 3/4 ,and guess how many more days I can last, several times I was caught unawares of what day was cross over, and ran out of LP
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
15 REPLIES 15

I had them on the last RV... Did not take them off before it got towed away as they never worked properly and always wondering if I was gonna be stranded without LP....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MrWizard
Dutch
I was thinking much the same thing, need a secure mount for holding and some protection from road exposure
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Roger10378 wrote:
The sensor is thick enough that the tank has to be elevated slightly to prevent crushing it. They provide feet to do this but I am not impressed with them and made my own.

The redesigned the case and made it thinner so those ussless spacer feet that never stay on the tank aren't required now.

Still need the spacer feet or the Halo ring to allow the bluetooth signal to get out. Metal tank on metal holder does not allow the signal to get out.

I have used them for one season and they work very good and very happy with them. One sensor did give me some trouble but position and dielectric grease seems to have fixed it. Will see next season.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a built in ASME LP tank installed on your RV such as on most Class A's and C's, the Mopeka sensors can also be used on them. The app can be configured for the horizontal tank and the tank height entered in inches. I would recommend securing the sensor with something like Gorilla tape though, instead of depending on just the standard magnets for travel. The tape could also provide some protection from road debris damage.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
CharlesinGA wrote:
The plastic halo rings are largely to allow the bluetooth signal to "escape", but also allows more height for the older sensors.

If you have 30 lb tanks or are contemplating buying them to replace 20 lb tanks then you might consider spending the extra $20 or so a tank and getting ones with gauges built into them. These are float operated gauges so they should be fairly reliable, but of course require that you check the gauge on the tank.

Charles

I've got float gauges on 4 of my 20lb tanks. They're ok....but I wouldn't call them really accurate, especially when the tank gets low. But at least it's something. And saves you pulling them out and weighing them.....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic halo rings are largely to allow the bluetooth signal to "escape", but also allows more height for the older sensors.

If you have 30 lb tanks or are contemplating buying them to replace 20 lb tanks then you might consider spending the extra $20 or so a tank and getting ones with gauges built into them. These are float operated gauges so they should be fairly reliable, but of course require that you check the gauge on the tank.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

MrWizard
Thank you everybody, I just might go for it next month, their product advert was inserted in a YouTube rv project video I was watching, I was unaware of this product until seeing the demonstration advert
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Roger10378 wrote:
The sensor is thick enough that the tank has to be elevated slightly to prevent crushing it. They provide feet to do this but I am not impressed with them and made my own.

The redesigned the case and made it thinner so those ussless spacer feet that never stay on the tank aren't required now.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
https://mopeka.com/

Came across an ad for this on YouTube tonight, while looking at some other RV topic video, use Android phone or tablet for gauge display, can be set for auto alert low level

Looks promising, does anybody have any real world knowledge

Yep. Old news.

The product has been around about 3 years or so. I have been using it and love it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The app can be configured for 20, 30, and 40 lb vertical cylinders, as well as settings for horizontal cylinders and tanks by entering the orientation and height in inches.
Dutch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using them as well. Great Idea, but I've found them to be pretty finicky. Proper placement is critical along with using some dielectric grease on the contact patch, So far on the trailer they have been reasonably reliable, along with the remote readout they offer. The newest remote display can be calibrated for 30lb tanks.

I've had less luck with them on portable 20 and 5 lb tanks for the grill and firepit and heater. I guess moving the tanks around can misadjust the sensor position.

Also they are sensitive to water not waterproof.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using a pair of the Mopeka sensors for a few months so far and have been quite satisfied with the performance. The key to consistent readings seems to be making sure there's a solid contact with the cylinder bottom by putting a dab of dielectric grease or petroleum gel (Vaseline) on the sensor pad before attaching it. Both of my sensors came with a small tube of grease for that purpose. The sensors come with a set of small aluminum spacers to hold the cylinder high enough off the ground to clear the thin sensor unit, but I found their optional "halo" spacer to be much easier to use.
Dutch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried it when it first came out a couple years ago, and it didn't work reliably for me. Sometimes no signal, levels changed, just didn't trust the accuracy. Perhaps they've improved them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like everything there are positives and negatives.

On the plus side as long as it is located properly on the bottom of the tank it gives you a very good reading of the propane in the tank.

On the negative side the battery life is not very good. If you are full time and having to refill often then just remember to change the battery every 6 or 8 months and you will be good. I am not full time and use very little propane so the battery life is shorter than the time it takes me to use the cylinder of propane. I have rectified this problem by making a remote battery system that uses AA batteries mounted where they can be changed without removing the cylinder.

I also had one of the sensors lost the contact pad when I took it to be filled. Mopeka tells me it is not repairable but I will have to replace it as it is long past warranty.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A