cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very slow propane leak: how to find it?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the problem: even with all appliances off, but the propane tank turned on, I am losing a quarter of a gallon of propane in a 24 hr. period. (I have weighed the tank -- it lost a pound a day, which is a quarter of a gallon.)

Obviously, I have applied a soapy solution everywhere -- no soap, so to speak. No bubbles.

I bought one of those cheap ($35) propane detection wands -- not a magic wand at all. It did not indicate that it had detected any gas. (I did test it by briefly turning on the stove without lighting it, and the detector lit up like a Christmas tree.)

My wife (who has a great sense of smell) does smell some propane, intermittently, but can't narrow it down, either. She obligingly sniffed every part of the propane system she could reach, without success.

So now what? This is not safe -- I can't ask her to wear nose plugs and then just ignore the leak. There are more expensive propane detection wands -- they cost a couple of hundred dollars. Are there repair facilities with even better equipment?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
40 REPLIES 40

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, chalk one up to my gullibility! I thought the person who said to use the flame test was being serious, and I fell for it.

Is this why they call a disagreement on a forum a "flame war?"

Anyways, we are all in agreement that flame is not a good idea. And, we're back on topic!
About our trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
BillyBob Jim wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Harvey51 wrote:
When I couldnโ€™t detect a leak with soapy water spray on our old popup tent trailer I tried the very sensitive flame test using a propane torch. It clearly showed the regulator leaking.

LOL.....the old school method. Hopefully your post does not start the safety, plumbing code, and legality ramifications debate about checking a gas line with an open flame.

Old School method?????? I have over 40 years and am Licensed to service LP systems for that 40 years. In the past 40 years there has NEVER been a Flame test. Flame test is one way to win a Darwin award. You will get the medal in the Burn Ward. I am constantly amazed at the DUMB hazardly postings on these forums. Doug

BAZINGA!!!!!!!

And there it is LOL, further proof of a theory of mine that this forum is seriously lacking in the SENSE of humor department. Lighten up Doug, you're evidently a legend in your own mind.

No, Just a LOT smarter than you. Doug

PS, SOME people are just plain stupid and posts like mine help keep them safe. You would rather just watch and then brag about how you were there but did nothing but laugh.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Harvey51 wrote:
When I couldnโ€™t detect a leak with soapy water spray on our old popup tent trailer I tried the very sensitive flame test using a propane torch. It clearly showed the regulator leaking.

LOL.....the old school method. Hopefully your post does not start the safety, plumbing code, and legality ramifications debate about checking a gas line with an open flame.

Old School method?????? I have over 40 years and am Licensed to service LP systems for that 40 years. In the past 40 years there has NEVER been a Flame test. Flame test is one way to win a Darwin award. You will get the medal in the Burn Ward. I am constantly amazed at the DUMB hazardly postings on these forums. Doug

BAZINGA!!!!!!!

And there it is LOL, further proof of a theory of mine that this forum is seriously lacking in the SENSE of humor department. Lighten up Doug, you're evidently a legend in your own mind.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Harvey51 wrote:

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not going to use a flame. If the source of the leak is too diffuse to create bubbles with a specially-formulated solution, it's probably too diffuse to catch fire.

And if it does catch fire, that's not so fun, either!

By the way, my old regulator was two years old. I am going to install the new one today, as soon as it stops raining. (Rain in Southern Calif in May?? Yep.)
About our trailer

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
The regulators made today are junk. Mine was two years old and failed. I would guess that is the first place to look then run down all the lines and fittings. Also check the hoses to the bottles from the regulator. Some of them will leak due to the severe bends in them so check the pressed on fittings.
Good luck,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Statistically, the most likely place is the regulator area. Like others, I've had leaks there as well. There are just lots of connections and often times one leaks.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I use a flammable gas detector. Good chance it is the regulator if it is 5+ years old.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I got some Oatey Mega Bubble -- crawled around under the trailer and applied it everywhere I could reach. No bubbles. So I suspect (hope!) it's a pinhole leak in the diaphragm of the regulator.

I just bought a new regulator and will install it tomorrow and will weigh the propane tank every morning to see if there was any leakage overnight.

If I still have a leak, I will have to take this to a professional. Major money.

I will keep you posted, so to speak.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn, that is a good idea -- I don't use the external hookup, so I have not checked it. It's always possible that it has developed a leak somehow.

Just by way of full disclosure, we take our trailer into some pretty rough territory -- on some of the seldom-used "two track" forest roads, there are small bushes and saplings growing in the grassy space between the tracks. And some of those little branches can whip the underside of the trailer. So far, we have not detected any damage -- just some scratches -- but maybe a really aggressive sagebrush bush attacked our propane lines?

In my next life, my trailer will have diamond plate underneath!
About our trailer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I was about 5 years into ownership of my current trailer, when I started smelling propane periodically. And the tanks would run dry if left long enough. Finally found a crack in the fitting for external bbq hookup. Maybe it was installed too tightly and finally just broke?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some great tips here -- thanks!! I did not know that a diaphragm leak does not blow bubbles -- so that is a great place to start -- new regulator. She does not smell propane inside the trailer, ever, so that tells us the leak is probably outside.

I had never heard of Oatey mega blue soap -- now I know what to look for!

And Doug, that is a very good point about the high pressure side ("upstream" of the regulator) and the low pressure side.

Phil, I am pretty sure it is not the threads in the tank, because the leak occurs regardless of which tank I am using. It would be odd if all of my tanks were afflicted with the same issue.

I will post an update, if and when I get this figured out.
About our trailer

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the Oatey leak detector solution. Much better than soapy water.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73