cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waaaa - another leak!

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
So, I had to completely gut my trailer, previous owner did not know how to patch / fix anything... All corners were leaking, roof was leaking etc.
So roof and corners all done, moved on to the front window in my '95 21 foot Dutchman. Resealed the front window and started to panel it. Had the whole front done!
Then it rained!
Next thing I know, the bottom section of the panel is water stained!

What!
The only thing I can think off is it is coming in from 3/4 of the way down the trailer where the fridge vent is, and traveling down the channel of the siding to the front, since it is leaning to the front!

I was heart broken.
I am going to remove the vent and reseal it with butyl etc. But, oh boy does that become on settling, after all the work that I have done.

Worst comes to worse, I will go cowboy, and Eternabond that whole seam! I see no bumps or rises, and that one channel section is wet.
(As that side of the wall is still gutted, only aluminum siding.

Yikes!
9 REPLIES 9

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
Well the sky's were grumbling last night, and I did not want to wreck anything more. So, I took a tube of clear ProflexRV and ran it along the outside seam.
No leaks this morning!

But, I know with movement and travel I will need to keep my eye on it, and probably use the Eternabond on the seam.

Now to figure out how to prevent the rain from coming in through the fridge vent.
But that is another post with pictures...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I gutted and restored my TT. Even though I used layers of sealants between frame and skins, I still had a couple of leaks. I ended up putting Eternabond over all seams and the edge trim. I haven't had a leak since. Eternabond tapes are a great sealer. About the only failures reported on this Forum are due to improper preparation of the surface or trying to put it on top of silicone caulk.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
spadoctor wrote:
Eternabond is not the fix all some think.

If done properly I DISAGREE 100%. It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the distant second whatever that is.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
A picture would be Nice
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
So I took a hose to it, and found the leak... but it how to I fix it? clear proflex rv along the outside of channel? I can not pull the panel off...

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond is not the fix all some think.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A spray nozzle held six inches away worked for me.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure test it and be sure you have found all of the leaks
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you can now follow the water trail back to the leak?
2006 34' Monaco Cayman