cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart Battery Comparison

Eric212
Explorer
Explorer
Roughly 5 years ago I installed three 12V Marine batteries that I purchased from Walmart. I can fit a maximum of 3 batteries on board, so I decided to go with 3 12V batteries instead of 2 6V batteries. Each was rated at 125 Amp Hours and I was very happy with their performance, especially for the low price.

I got a good 5 years out of them (with some winter use too) and now it is looking like it's time to replace.

Back at Wally World, I see they have 2 different batteries in the category I'm looking for. One of them is priced at $86.83 and is rated at 122 Amp Hours (1Amp @ 12V) Part #29DC

The other is the same basic dimensions, but the case looks slightly different. Priced at $99.97 and rated at 114 Amp Hours (1 amp @ 12V) Part # MAXX-29DC

So I would think that the more expensive "MAXX" ones are "better", but I also like the fact that the other ones have MORE amp hours for LESS money. I suppose the MAXX ones must be a little heavier duty, they are both Marine batteries, not "real" deep cycles. The cheaper ones would be a total of $260.49 for 366 AH, whereas the heavier duty ones would be $299.91 for 342 AH. That's basically an additional $40 for 24 FEWER AH. They are both made by Johnson Controls.

I have a good 4 stage charger which is always maintaining them when the camper is not in use, or when camping near shore power. But most of my camping is away from shore power so I like to have as much battery reserve on board as possible.

Which ones would you buy? I have decided on buying either one of these, so please don't turn this into a sales pitch for Trojans or Lifelines. I do realize they are better, but they are also a lot more expensive. for the purposes of this post I am only comparing the 2 batteries I have referenced.

Thanks for reading!

1999 Coachmen 115RD
1983 Chevrolet K30
Timbren SES, Stable Loads, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
51 REPLIES 51

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to argue with prior success. The battery industry is consolidating and subletting production to contractors so frequently that it is impossible to determine who makes what battery and to what standards that battery is made for. So it is best to rely on prior experience or mass recommendations by a lot of people rather than by specification labels pasted on the side of a battery. A general rule when comparing cyclable batteries is to find out the amp hour rating then divide that by the weight of the battery a true deep cycle battery will have less cranking amps less ampere hours yet weigh heavier than a light duty or marine battery. this is a question of the thickness of the positive plates Thicker plates have less surface area and the smaller the surface area the less the cranking amps and the less the amp hour capacity of the battery will have.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
A link to Battery manufacturers:
http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#e

Per the link:
Walmart, (US)
Champion, please see Exide
EverStart [MF Starting], please see Delphi
EverStart, please see Exide
EverStart, please see Johnson Controls
EverStart MAXX [Starting], please see Johnson Controls

MickD
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that you are paying for the different warranty. One being 12 months and the MAXX 24 months.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Last time I checked 3 group 29 batteries have more capacity than 2 six volt batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eric212 wrote:
Roughly 5 years ago I installed three 12V Marine batteries that I purchased from Walmart. I can fit a maximum of 3 batteries on board, so I decided to go with 3 12V batteries instead of 2 6V batteries. Each was rated at 125 Amp Hours and I was very happy with their performance, especially for the low price.

First: Wal*mart cheats on their battery ratings, they rate them at the 1 amp rate, so your 125 amp hour batteries means they can provide 1 amp for 125 hours.

There is no legal standard but when we talk of batteries here we use the C/20 rate,, and a Group 29 is aroudn 100-105 amp hours at the C/20 rate

A pair of GC-2 Six volt wired in series would cost roughly the same a a pair of G-29s (Well the MAXX at lest) and would deliver 215 to 230 amp hours, that is more power for the same price,, AND, the Interstates my coach came with celebrated 8 birthdays, possibly 9 depending on exactly when they were installed,, before failing.

Another advantage, the Wal*Mart batteries are MARINE/Deep cycle (less you find a trolling battery) which means they do not really care for a 50 percent state of charge, they are Starting batteries first and foremost and only give lip service to "Deep cycle" considerations.

The Golf Car - 2 (GC-2) is a TRUE deep cycle, 50% soc is no problem, just recharge soon,

Advantage the Wal*mart 29s.. Maintenance free, means low gas, no adding water, and so on,, but you know.. I can put in a lot of distilled for the difffernce in cost per watt of storage.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to add...I also question the actual Ah's of the Everstart. Definitely something to consider when comparing to other brands.
You're not really getting what you pay for as advertised. But, then again, we've both had these batteries with satisfactory results.

6V - Why not give them a try this time around? I have Interstate GC2-XHD-UT batt's and I am thoroughly happy. You can't beat the discharge and cycling capability of 6V's. The particular batts I have aren't all that more expensive either. If you shop around, they can be had for less than $300. Even less if you find an online deal with free shipping, no sales tax and a coupon code.

Since you have the room for 3, you could buy two 6V's and a 12V. Keep the 12 as a back-up in case one of the 6V's die. I realize that's more money and probably not what you want to do. Just an option--an option I would like to have.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've used quite few Everstarts and Everstart MAXX. IMO, the MAXX's last longer--about twice as long if maintained. I've had a GRP29 MAXX for going 8 years and just recently, developed a bad cell. Not bad. Have MAXX's in all my trucks and cars and they've lasted anywhere from 48-60 months. The wifes Honda has an Everstart and she beats the******out it. Has discharged it deeply quite a few times. It's right at 3 years old (I expect it to kick the bucket soon)
The MAXX batteries in my diesel only lasted less than 2 years. But that's not a fair assessment since diesels absolutely destroy batteries in short order.

Bottom line, I'd go with the MAXX's and expect 4-5 years if maintained properly. Just try not to deeply discharge them often. That's what makes solar so awesome.

There's also the Costco batteries which are apparently better than Walmart batteries. Boaters seem to rave about them due their replacement policy.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The heaviest one has more lead and thus should have more capacity. I also seriously question the capacity of those batteries. Rating them at a 1 amp draw is down right dishonest given that everyone else uses a much higher rate.
Most quality deep cycle battery manufacturers will publish a chart that lists the AH at various withdraw rates. The 20 hour rate is pretty standard. So if that's a 120 Ah battery it should have delivered 6 amps for 20 hours under test. I bet it won't.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Given no additional information, get the one that weighs the most.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
True Deep Cycle 12V batteries don't give Cranking Amps on them.

Trojan 12V specs HERE
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you pay for.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Both seem a much better price than I would get on my side of the Atlantic.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

JackG
Explorer
Explorer
Appears the real difference is the MAXX has a two year replacement warranty and the regular one is only one year.

The weight difference is small the regular 29DC is 58.7 lbs. and the MAXX is 61.7 lbs.

Basically paying for an additional year of replacement warranty.
Jack
2008 Dodge CTD 3500 DRW
2008 Northern Lite 10-2 CD SE

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought mine for my boat I noticed the same thing you did. I looked at the number stamped at the base of the cases and they were the same number. Same battery, different marketing. I bought the cheaper one.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbigfoot wrote:
I would grab a scale from housewares, check the weights, and see if the premium one has 10% more lead for the money.

That is a good idea. The heavier battery should theoretically last longer if it has more lead. This could leave Eric with the choice of capacity vs. longetivity. He must decide how his camping lifestyle is impacted by the small increase in capacity.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad