cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water heater heat exchange leak

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
In my 1997 Class B Xplorer I have an Atwood GH6A-8E water heater. This has the heat exchanger which has hoses bringing hot coolant to the tank connecting to tubes wrapped around it to get the water hot while driving. The cardboard box surrounding it has sometimes in the past gotten wet. A few years ago the rv shop checked it and couldn't find a leak, but I think they just checked the water lines. I had to replace the hoses coming from the radiator this spring and the heat exchanger works well. The cardboard box still gets wet. I just completed a 3,000 mile trip with no engine overheating problem, but had to add a gallon of water to the radiator & overflow container.

Since the hoses aren't leaking at the connection, it seems that the metal tubing wrapped around the water tank must be leaking coolant. None gets into the water tank as the hot water is fine. I did google searches, etc and did find 1 guy who pulled his heater and took it to a welder for repair. He had no more leaks after the reinstall. My concern is dealing with that removal of electrical and propane and the radiator hoses may cause more problems as I've never dealt with this before. It is a 20 year old unit.

I have 3 options: 1) disconnect the new radiator hose and install a short workaround hose under the hood. i'ld lose the heat exchange feature I like, but no coolant.
2) Try the removal and repair.
3) Take it to the dealer. I don't know if they can repair it and their $200/hour labor charge would add up. So I'm thinking I should just have them install a new unit. They have the exact same unit for $520 and estimate the labor cost to remove the old & install the new would be $400. So the total cost with tax would be $975.

I plan on keeping the rv as long as I can.

Thoughts??
4 REPLIES 4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF the welded aluminum heat exchanger tube is leaking, then the odds are the inner tank is corroded also and will probably start leaking also. I would buy a NEW water heater. NOT replace parts or pull and pay to weld. 20 years old, not smart to repair since you will be keeping the RV. Doug

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If you can replace your own radiator and heater hoses, you can probably replace your own water heater, it isn't difficult.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
1997 with original heater = replace it with a new one and be done for 20 more years.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
On most, the heat exchanger is just a very short piece of tubing welded to the outside of the tank, so repair should be easy, fwiw.
-- Chris Bryant