Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leak

rvluckyorwhat
Explorer
Explorer
Background:

Class A diesel pusher coach is about 16 months old.

While driving on the highway for several hours in a heavy rainstorm, water drops were falling on the driver's head and on the far driver's side corner of the dash from seams and edges of the cabinetry above the driver's side window (not the windshield, the side window).

Facts:
- the source of these drips were from a height that is ABOVE the uppermost point of the front windshield.
- the front, top piece of the outer body sits above the roof where it meets it, which means the seam is behind the front molding and therefore when driving, water would not settle in this seam but blow over it.

Despite this last point, I checked this seam for cracks and resealed anything even remotely suspicious. However, I think the water was coming in from 1 of 2 other places:

1. The running light assemblies that sit above the windshield.

2. The bumper (?) for the awning topper for the driver's side slide. This piece (I'm not sure what it actually is) is mounted and screwed into the side of the coach above the driver's side window.

I highly suspect #1. Aerodynamics argue against #2 similarly to why I don't think the water came from the seam between the roof and front assembly.

Like I said, I resealed the roof seam anyway. But I can't seem to take apart the light assemblies, nor remove the "bumper" by simply removing the screws. I have removed the screws from 2 of these light assemblies, and in each case, one of the two screws looked suspiciously rusty.

Both screws for the bumper looked fine. I think the bumper piece is also glued onto the outside wall of the RV besides being screwed on.

What I'm looking for is:
1. Advise on how to remove these light assemblies without damaging them and/or worsening the water leakage protection in and around them.
2. Advice on whether I should just leave the light assemblies be (not try to remove or disassemble them) and just shoot caulking into the screw holes. (Will this work, and is it generally sufficient to fix this type of leak?)
3. If so, should I do the same with the screw holes for the awning topper "bumper"
4. Less important: If you know what this "bumper" actually is and what purpose it serves, I'm just curious to know.

Thanks,
Mitch
Check out our blog of our adventures at www.rvluckyorwhat.com. We are also on Facebook, Twitter, and Trover as RVLuckyOrWhat
3 REPLIES 3

rvluckyorwhat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks USAFBILL! That's great advise. I didn't know such a thing existed, but it will be well worth it.
Check out our blog of our adventures at www.rvluckyorwhat.com. We are also on Facebook, Twitter, and Trover as RVLuckyOrWhat

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Time to take it to a dealer that can perform a "leak test" and let you watch the whole procedure....It used to run right at $100.00 to test and correct minor leaks found....Good Luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I would caulk around the lights and in screw holes. Rust is a sure sign water has been in there. The metal piece is the awning anti billow device. There should be a short arm on the awning tube that will contact it if the awning starts to unfurl when you are underway.