cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WFCO Backup Supply

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking for a AC to DC supply to act as a backup for the WFCO 9855 in our 2004 Rockwood 8318SS.

About 4 years ago the original WFCO board failed, luckily while it was at our house. I hooked up a temporary lab power supply to it that I borrowed from work

I bought a replacement board from a fellow rv.net member who upgraded to a new converter.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the WFCO, so I would like to take a cheap AC/DC switching supply with me when we are out of town with the trailer, just in case.

A 13.8VDC output with about 30-40 amps should be sufficient.

Has anyone run across any super deals on AC/DC supplies like this to act as a backup? I figure there should be some available for around $25 (plus shipping) online.

Thanks
Steve
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good! Maybe you can pick up some items for me!!!

(Just Joking)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
$2, nothing wrong with doing what is best in your situation.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
44 amps for sixty-five bucks is hard to beat. Especially something little larger than a paperback book. Especially for something that can be instantly adjusted to maintain a battery at 110F or -30F

My case is extreme, but it costs me around 300 dollars to go visit the Wal-Mart. How much does it cost you?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 to let the backup charger sit at the local WalMart until needed.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
When my WFCO failed, I ran the rig on a 15A auto charger for about a week. We had to be careful what we turned on but it wasn't a big deal.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 30 amp Meanwell for $45-
http://www.amazon.com/NES-350-12-Switching-Power-Supply-110-240/dp/B007K2H0GI (29 amp to be precise).
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive Dynamics
9200 line is a self contained converter/charger (3 stage) comes in both plug in and hard wired models

4600 line is designed to replace the electronics section of most intergrated convwerter/power distribution centers like the most common WFCO units. (Replacement board). Both are otherwise the same, same technology, same software, same Wizard, and a better 3 stage charger you will not find. I know... I've looked.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Were it me I would go for the Progressive Dynamics replacement head unit and gain reliability, there have been a number of rather interesting failures of the WFCO units.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, guys.

I will check out the suggestions.

I have a few months before the longer trips, so I have some time to shop.

Steve

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My MEGAWATT 36-amp maxxes out at 44-amps and cost 65 dollars. Kinda hard to beat. The RSVP (heh heh) Meanwell costs considerably more. Google MEGAWATT POWER SUPPLIES. 10 - 15 Volts externally adjustable pot.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking at units like these:

12VDC@40A

They are 12VDC, but have a +/-10% adjustment range so I could get 13.2VDC. Of course, raising the voltage 10% means downgrading the max current by 10% (to 36A).

We will have AC power at the campgrounds, so I am not overly concerned about battery charging. I will charge the trailer battery before I leave and carry a small charger with me for the battery.

Steve

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
All you need is a portable automotive battery charger. For an output of 30a - 40a it will be over $100.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900