cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of battery for "house battery"?

SharynB
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace my motor home house battery (it is a 20 ft. Pleasure Way). Do I just buy a standard car battery? I know they run from $40 to $100.00's...I would prefer to spend the lesser amount...would that be OK?

โš Did you see the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

9 REPLIES 9

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SharynB wrote:
Thanks you! I will get a Marine battery!

Just so that you know, a "marine" battery is not the BEST solution. It is a compromise between a typical car battery and a true deep cyle battery.

A marine battery is adequate if you do NOT dry camp/boondock.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
U.S. Marine batteries are expensive, I hear.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
And from your energy survey your AH needs are? Or did you want me to determine that for you?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SharynB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you! I will get a Marine battery!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
for average use, just go to wal mart get marine deep cycle battery,biggest that will fit in your box. will serve you well for normal use.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What size is it? Has it served you well?
Do you want maintenance free at a higher cost? (I assume not)
Do you ever charge the battery using a generator?
Really needs to be a deep cycle battery.

Deep cycle trolling from walmart is fine for most use between hookups.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
With all brands of 12 volt batteries, the cheapest is usually barely capable of doing the job. The most expensive is often overkill.
If this is a "house" battery, and not used for starting, I would get a hybrid type battery as is typically called a marine/RV unit.
With it being on a B type motorhome, space is likely at a premium so I would go to a local Advance or Auto Zone type store, and have them make the change so they can verify that the replacement physically fits in the provided space, and select from a middle grade of the batteries they sell. They usually will change the battery at no additional cost.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do most of your RVing with full hook-ups connected to shore power, then any basic car battery will suffice. What type is in there now, if satisfied with prior performance just replace with similar. Of course if you do lots of RVing with out power hook-ups a RV/marine hybrid or 6 volt golfcart batteries will better serve that purpose.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Forum Technical Support" is for help with the forum/web site, itself. Ask a moderator to move your post to the appropriate forum.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015