cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's everybody using to mount GC batteries?

02CumminsGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Good day everyone,

I'm making the switch to GC batteries in my 21' okanagan. Now, the original battery (group 27) is toast. It is under the dinette at the front of the trailer. I am switching to 2 6V GC2 AGM batteries. The group 27 was in a vented box originally, I'm not going to have the space to run another vented box with the GC2's (hence the switch to AGM) but I need a way to secure them to the floor.

What is everybody using?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad. They work well for me (for years). Perhaps you can use lids only as a tray, only about 1.5 to 2" high.

02CumminsGuy
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:
How about these:

battery boxes

I've looked at those, I just don't have the height to accommodate them.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
How about these:

battery boxes

02CumminsGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
02CumminsGuy wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Many people use nylon webbing straps, such as are used for holding down loads in a pickup truck. A couple of D hooks secured to the floor of the box will give you something to hook them into.

It can be hard to find D hooks that are somewhere between "hold up a picture frame" strength and "hold down a minivan on a wrecker's bed" strength. I eventually came across these after some searching which seem about appropriate for the task.
n

So just to make sure I've got the idea, no tray or anything under the batteries. Then those d rings screwed to the floor and nylon webbing straps (ratchet straps?) in the d rings and across both batteries? That's so simple.

Thanks a lot!

I'd go with a tray of some sort to keep the bases of the batteries in position. Since you are using AGM batteries, this need not be anything particularly fancy or particularly resistant to acid fumes, so something like 2" or so square strips of wood or some lengths of angle iron in a couple of rectangles would be fine. The straps are to hold down the batteries, the tray part to keep them from sliding around. That's not the only possible way to secure them by any means, but simple enough.

Ratchet straps are the sort of thing I had in mind, though many are overkill for the purpose. Some small ones like these are what I use (or will soon use, I should say, since I have to do some modifications to my battery tray to fit golf cart batteries...within the next week or so).

Ok,

That makes sense to me, maybe I'll get some 1x1 square wood and make a "tray" around each battery with it just to keep them from sliding around. Then use the straps over the top. That should keep them pretty secure.

Thanks

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
02CumminsGuy wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Many people use nylon webbing straps, such as are used for holding down loads in a pickup truck. A couple of D hooks secured to the floor of the box will give you something to hook them into.

It can be hard to find D hooks that are somewhere between "hold up a picture frame" strength and "hold down a minivan on a wrecker's bed" strength. I eventually came across these after some searching which seem about appropriate for the task.
n

So just to make sure I've got the idea, no tray or anything under the batteries. Then those d rings screwed to the floor and nylon webbing straps (ratchet straps?) in the d rings and across both batteries? That's so simple.

Thanks a lot!

I'd go with a tray of some sort to keep the bases of the batteries in position. Since you are using AGM batteries, this need not be anything particularly fancy or particularly resistant to acid fumes, so something like 2" or so square strips of wood or some lengths of angle iron in a couple of rectangles would be fine. The straps are to hold down the batteries, the tray part to keep them from sliding around. That's not the only possible way to secure them by any means, but simple enough.

Ratchet straps are the sort of thing I had in mind, though many are overkill for the purpose. Some small ones like these are what I use (or will soon use, I should say, since I have to do some modifications to my battery tray to fit golf cart batteries...within the next week or so).

02CumminsGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

n

Thanks a lot!

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Two GC batteries fit very nice in a milk create.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other batteries and the sides of the box.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman