cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Sticks to Coroplast?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of patches i need to make on the undercover of the fifth wheel.

Having trouble getting something to bond the coroplast to the under cover, which I assume is coroplast also.

My genuine gorilla tape does not do the job. Poor results with silicone also. I am also cleaning both surfaces with mineral spirits and drying first.

What is a guaranteed, never come off way to stick the patches on there?

I am thinking eternabond but if it works like my roll of gorilla tape, I would hate to invest the time and money.

thanks
26 REPLIES 26

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I had to cut a hole in mine to do some valve work. I went to a local graphic sign shop and the gave me a large piece of black coroplast (same material they use to make yard signs). I cut the right sized piece I needed to cover my hole with 2" overlap on all 4 sides. I used 1/2 self tapping screws to secure the new piece in place then sealed the edges with gorilla tape. It has held for 2 years now.
I can also remove it is needed to service my valves in the future without cutting and then can replace as needed.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I had to cut a 2' x 2' hole in mine to do some tank valve work. I went to a local graphic sign shop and the gave me a large piece of black coroplast (same material they use to make yard signs). I cut the right sized piece I needed to cover my hole with 2" overlap on all 4 sides. I used 1/2 self tapping screws to secure the new piece in place then sealed the edges with gorilla tape. It has held for 2 years now.
I can also remove it is needed to service my valves in the future without cutting and then can replace as needed.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, maybe NOT contact cement ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Using Internet Superpowers...

From the manufacturer:

Q: Is it possible to bond or glue two pieces of Coroplast together?

A: Polypropylene is great for many uses due to the fact that it is resistant to chemicals; unfortunately the same properties make it difficult to bond using chemical bonding agents. However, several products have been developed recently by companies such as 3M that are designed to bond polypropylene structurally. Coroplast has not yet tested these products fully. 3M's Scotch-Weldโ„ข Structural Plastic Adhesive DP-8005 is available from Grainger and other distributors for industrial use.

Additional ideas here:
Clicky
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact cement
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I was building Quicksilver I looked like The Michelin Man. Drove the bus to a boatyard in San Pedro and had a commercial outfit do the majority of the vehicle.

Insulating the Samsung refrigerator was where I ruined coveralls, pants, underwear and shoes. Learned cured-foam is only removed from skin if a vast majority of body hair is included.

But god, does it stick! Would make a hell of a battlefield weapon. Pillbox? Hose it through the slits!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good idea Mex.

That stuff is nasty to work with but may be the cat's meow.

Ford man, what kind of sealant are you referring to?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Aerosol foam insulation (in a can) seems to stick like crazy to everything. It even grabs Teflon.

When I cut access holes in mine , I had gotten some storage containers (black) with lids.. I cut the flat part off the lids out and cut the access hole smaller.
After I was done , I applied some Heavy Duty black adhesive/sealant around the edge . placed the patch on it and used small self tapping stainless steel screws to secure. It held up till the day I got rid of the trailer..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Sew it up with mechanics wire.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remember there are two types of bonds chemical and mechanical. Coroplast is a thermoplastic and most are chemically inert so solvents won't prepare the surface well for a chemical bond. Most thermoplastics respond better to a mechanical bond. So if you sand the surface well to roughen it adhesives will adhere better. I use Shoe Goo for these type of plastics. Epoxies or caulking like 3M 5200 will also work if the surface is abraided well.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Gorrillia tape the other thing to do is some 1ร—2 on the inside and screw a piece of plywood to the 1ร—2 you can also buy some belly tape from a mobile home place