Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearings - re-grease?

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

We have a 40 foot 5th wheel we've owned from new and is stored in a large machine shed when not is use. The shed is not heated, but has a concrete floor and insulated. Nice to have especially in Canada as it has never been stored in snow/ice or any inclement weather when not in use.

We bought this to travel south in spring and fall. The last time we used it was 2019 to Myrtle Beach. It's been parked thanks to the pandemic as the border closed. We have not moved or touched it and I've kept the air in the tires inflated to max. The tires are new Michelins installed in 2019 and the bearings were greased the same spring.

The question is: as it will have been parked for 2 years in 2022 and with one trip on it since it was last greased (went about 2,000 miles), should the bearings be regreased before we head south in the spring 2022. Not sure if the grease would age/dry after sitting that long. With the border just recently opened we are looking at traveling south again.

I know this is a lengthy backstory for a basic question, but it's best to have all the facts to help get the best advice/recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

I would just go, don't worry about it... ALL too many folks are overkill with RV bearings....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't seem like it is needed to regrease the hubs with so few miles and it was just done, but it is fine if you want to do it just to be sure.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you also thinking about re-greasing the hubs of your truck?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO The brakes should be visually verified and since that involves pulling the drums...I used to use an inductive ammeter to ensure all drums were activated equally.

Another quirk I insisted on was to make sure lug nuts could be spun with the fingers and use of a torque wrench, and three cross lug verifications for each wheel.Bend and check valve stems for base cracking and examine every tire inch-by-inch. I detest road shoulder breakdowns.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)