cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where is my shoreline charge controller?

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I picked up a new 'used' 2008 Shockwave 28FLSPL 5th wheel and when plugged in to shore power, it is pulling approx 328 amps. I have 2- 6 volt batteries and they are not charging (very well?).
Where do I find the controller and how do I determine if that is what is charging the batteries? I ask if it is charging the batteries because there is also a solar panel and charge controller in the camper.
Thanks!
Mike
13 REPLIES 13

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
USMarine0369 wrote:
Thanks. So what cables would I clamp (I have one of these voltmeters)?
To measure the AC input amps clamp on the hot wire. There may not be a wire available for a charger that is integrated into the main CB panel for example. Clamp on the charger DC positive wire to measure the charger output amps.

For the battery use either the + or - cable to determine battery amps, ie either charging or discharging amps. If there are multiple wires on the battery post then measure each one and sum (each one may be + or - amps).
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
USMarine0369 wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
The original converter (now unplugged) in my Solitude is located in a dead space behind the pass thru compartment, right next to the transfer switch. A panel in the pass thru has to be removed to access.

So your converter is unplugged because you have a new one that replaced it? Or does the battery charger plug into the inverter?
Thanks,

I have an inverter/charger and a solar controller. The charger portion of the inverter/charger is almost always turned off since the solar controller normally supplies enough amps to keep the batteries charged.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
The original converter (now unplugged) in my Solitude is located in a dead space behind the pass thru compartment, right next to the transfer switch. A panel in the pass thru has to be removed to access.

So your converter is unplugged because you have a new one that replaced it? Or does the battery charger plug into the inverter?
Thanks,

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
USMarine0369 wrote:
Sorry everyone; I meant 328 WATTS. ๐Ÿ™‚ Is this a normal draw for the controller?
There could be other RV draws and the charger is part of those draws. So yes 328W is less than 3A for the RV power and OK.

FYI Charger draw and charge amps to the battery are based on the battery charge state and the charger design. If you want to know just the charger draw then you need to measure it's AC input and not the total RV draw.

A reasonable tool to measure all of this is a clamp on ammeter that measures voltage and amps for BOTH AC and DC.

Thanks. So what cables would I clamp (I have one of these voltmeters)?

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
328 watts is almost nothing, my rv absorption fridge on electric draws over 400 watts, the average converter doing a 20 amp battery charge will draw 500+ watts

That is what I was thinking. I'll have to figure a way to test this thing properly.
Thanks!

MrWizard
328 watts is almost nothing, my rv absorption fridge on electric draws over 400 watts, the average converter doing a 20 amp battery charge will draw 500+ watts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
USMarine0369 wrote:
Sorry everyone; I meant 328 WATTS. ๐Ÿ™‚ Is this a normal draw for the controller?
There could be other RV draws and the charger is part of those draws. So yes 328W is less than 3A for the RV power and OK.

FYI Charger draw and charge amps to the battery are based on the battery charge state and the charger design. If you want to know just the charger draw then you need to measure it's AC input and not the total RV draw.

A reasonable tool to measure all of this is a clamp on ammeter that measures voltage and amps for BOTH AC and DC.

Bob

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

USMarine0369
Explorer
Explorer
I will look in those spots.
Thanks!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your power distribution (Breaker/Fuse) panel has both 120 volt breakers and 12 volt fuses or breakers behind a single panel/door/access. What is the model of it (Very good chance the converter is directly behind the panel. attached actually)

If they are two different access doors... Then I'd start looking as far from the batteries as you can get (Absolutely the LEAST logical place for it naturally)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many of the converters are located adjacent to the 120/240-volt circuit breakers.
Some are located on floor behind power distribution panels.
328 amps must be an incorrect reading.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
328? Call the fire department! Just kidding - The common 3 wire RV plug is 30A AC max.

Typical chargers are 50A DC or less for the 12V house and batteries.

Bob

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hi Mike,
Where or how are you seeing 328 amps? That sounds excessive.

The charge controller is typically in the same housing as all the fuses and breakers. You might have to pull the from of the fuse panel off to look. Make sure you take a picture of the fuses before you start removing fuses so you can put them back where they belong when finished.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup