cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

While we are on solar let me tell you about friend #2

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
So friend #2 has four trojan scs225 batteries, a go power 30 amp non adjustable controller, and 685 watts. He originally had 525 watts and just added a 160 watt panel.

I asked if he was concerned about popping the controller. He said he's going to install a switch on the last panel and only bring it in when its poor sun or deep winter sun. I told him well....dont fall asleep in that nice chair. He said no problem if he does as the controller will just cut back. He said the only way that it could hurt is if the batteries were very low and needing to draw all those amps.

I said I dont know but go power says 500 watts max and 30 amps max.

I was also mentioning that I see people on line wanting Trojans and you guys saying be sure you can adjust your voltage as trojan wants 14.8 daily. He said no It's in the owners manual that It's 14.4 and equalize at 14.8. A few days later he brought his book over and said yes it is 14.8. I said well all you need to do is dip them and at least see what it says. I said if everything is working maybe 14.4 is ok. He said dipping is for beginners. We all laughed but I did notice that he keeps using his generator to nuke his dinner instead of the inverter and 500 plus ah of batts. He's running 6 gauge about 10 feet to the controller and another 10 feet of 6 g to the batts. No fuses. Any predictions? ๐Ÿ™‚
24 REPLIES 24

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I wonder if they make GO POWERยฎ enemas?

I think they are at Walmart. $14.40

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they make GO POWERยฎ enemas?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
OMG, I do sound like handybob!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
As I posted earlier - but how about a modern Handyxjrj that accepts gens and MPPT as appropiate? :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
I bet ya 37 cents he doesn't give a **** what his batt sg is, the first poster had it right, camp on.

CA Traveler wrote:

My prediction is that he will be happy as a clam while you and I wonder what will happen.

I think it's an experiment in progress.:) Two days ago he mentioned to us that he was only getting 20 amps during good sun. I said that may be normal but you cant read ah down with your go power controller. I thought to myself "US" that keep "fiddling" with "all these buttons" do know what what we are down and have some idea of what we should be seeing at different stages of charging.

I also believe he bought the panel for more reasons than just not having to tilt. He should be running number 4 and from the one peek that I had at the combiner box it could have some serious voltage drop.

We know that it's important to be on the heavy side with the wire but from looking at a several peoples wiring and batteries, proper connections and bottle necks are ignored and a stack up of losses happens.

It's all fun and in the end friend one and I would help him redo the whole thing if he wants to. AFTER steering him away from go power of course. OMG, I do sound like handybob!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I bet ya 37 cents he doesn't give a **** what his batt sg is, the first poster had it right, camp on.

CA Traveler wrote:

My prediction is that he will be happy as a clam while you and I wonder what will happen.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
" All he keeps saying is use a go power and stop pushing all those buttons and throw the hydrometer away"

It is good that you are helping RJ out. ๐Ÿ™‚
:B

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
" All he keeps saying is use a go power and stop pushing all those buttons and throw the hydrometer away"

It is good that you are helping RJ out. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BCRacing24
Explorer
Explorer
GoPower makes\sources excellent inverters, panels & transfer switches. Why on earth do they not have an adjustable voltage or temp compensation on their PWM's ?!?! Equalize at only 14.4v is laughable on group 24,27 & 29 batteries, down right crazy on a good 6v !! The Zamp ZS-30A & AP are a better PWM from what I can tell.....

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Blair's 16,000,000 Scoville units Habanero chili sauce

One single drop is all it would take. This WMD military grade salsa burns skin so put one drop on one fry.

The "I can eat anything" chili braggers have yet to meet this stuff. One single solitary drop in a POT of soup will turn it into Kilauea Crater.

Ha! That would be something funny to watch, last bit of food he snitches, I bet.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Blair's 16,000,000 Scoville units Habanero chili sauce

One single drop is all it would take. This WMD military grade salsa burns skin so put one drop on one fry.

The "I can eat anything" chili braggers have yet to meet this stuff. One single solitary drop in a POT of soup will turn it into Kilauea Crater.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Wanna get rid of prettyfartsmellers bugging you and your work?

Print out the image, blown up. Hold down the upper corners. One with a coffee cup, the other with a calculator.

GUARANTEED! They'll run like hell...

You got that right. He is stubborn as heck and wont listen to anything. All he keeps saying is use a go power and stop pushing all those buttons and throw the hydrometer away. If he could change his charging voltage maybe he could give the trojans what they want. It's sort of strange because hes anal on details because he had a airplane business doing crop dusting and aerial photography for large companies.

The first time I heard the word airplane mentioned I paid more attention to details around his rig and I noticed his stuff is nice. Very neat and organized. When it comes to solar he's whacked out but he's still our buddy so I do all I can for him. I'm working on a way to get my hydrometer into one of his trojans. He's so cheap that he reaches over and starts eating some of buddy one's fries when they go to In and Out. So I'm thinking of injecting something in the conversation like " I bet you $5.00 your gravity is at the low side of green AT BEST". Maybe he will bite for $5.00 and it's cheap entertainment. His Home D 4"x4" combiner box has wires with yellow split fork terminals crimped on, not holes in a strip with the set screw design. 7 PANELS of wire!!! What a mess. 6 Gauge in the whole system. I'd love to probe around with my meter.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Nawwww.....

Too complicated.

Drive, and follow weather fronts...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
I think the answer is obvious - he'll add another panel with a switch of course. :B
Really.. all that hassle rather than buy a larger controller.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
This is fugbuggy nuts...

What does he do with his careful calculations when cloud-edging occurs?

I have seen 16-17% amplification. Old Gyro Gearloose is in for a surprise. Heatstink assumption strikes again...
I think the answer is obvious - he'll add another panel with a switch of course. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob